Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Love of Sewing Cultivated in the Cabbage Patch

My mom taught me how to sew when I was just 8 years old. I had always watched her sew my clothes and Halloween costumes on her Singer, which was stored inside a lovely cherry desk in our living room. She must have been pretty tickled with idea of teaching me how to sew, because when it came time to teach me she bought me a Cabbage Patch Kids sewing machine. Like most girls my age growing up in the '80s, I adored Cabbage Patch Kids, so having a Cabbage Patch Kids sewing machine was a dream come true! 

The first thing we made together on that machine was a one-piece set of footed pajamas for my own Cabbage Patch Kid, Tracy. Looking back, it was a pretty complicated project for a first-timer. I was so incredibly proud of myself when we finished it. It's been 22 years since that first project and I still love to sew. Thanks, Mom!

9 comments:

  1. Charming story ~ thanks for sharing it with us all!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those funny little Cabbage Patch Kids, haven't thought about them in awhile. Sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aweee...so sweet shhhh we all loved cabbage patch ...boy does that tell my true age rofl! ALicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story - it gave me very fond remembrances of my Mom too who also taught me to sew (I was a quilter before I started making jewelry). Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me about the P.J.'s, Michelle. I had forgotten how young you were when I taught you how to sew! I can't believe I did that! It's amazing what children remember. Thanks for the wonderful memory.

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cool story. I hope you still have that sewing machine, it is rad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish I still had that sewing machine! I can't believe I even found a photo online - no one has them anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic! I'm so glad you were able to find the photo :) any idea what happened to the original machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! I'm guessing that it either broke and was tossed out (I can't imagine those little plastic machines last all that long) or my folks sold it at a garage sale. It would have been so cool if my mom had saved it!

      Delete