Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vintage Clippies

I did a search for clippies on Etsy once and was astonished to see the incredible number of beautiful, fun and whimsical clippies designed to adorn little girls' hair. When I was growing up, most little girls had plain plastic clippies. I, on the other hand, was well stocked with beautiful clippies that my mom had designed and crafted for me. 

Each pair of clippies (just one would never do, of course!) was made up of a small length of eyelet lace, some ribbon and a coordinating button, all stitched onto a plastic clippy. I wore them all the time at the end of my braids or at the top of my head to keep the whispies out of my face. My mom even made a braided clippy holder for me to store them on.

Looking at them today, I can't help but think about how cool and forward thinking my mom was back then. Tons of crafters and moms make clippies for little girls today, but virtually no one did when I was a kid. Of course, now these old school clippies are considered to be vintage items. It's scary to think that my childhood momentos are old enough to fit into that category!

Tomorrow I'm going to introduce you to one of this generation's clippy makers, who also happens to be a fellow member of the EtsyMom Street Team. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment