Friday, October 17, 2008

Create Your Own Monster-Piece

The Etsy community is filled with talented artists and crafters selling beautiful and unique pretend play toys that help preserve the magic of childhood. This post is part of my weekly writing series, "Imagination at Play". Stay tuned for more every Friday!

Look around your neighborhood. If it's anything like mine, the evidence that we've transitioned from summer to fall is all around us. Tree leaves are turning from green to yellow and red, spooky decorations haunt every doorstep in preparation for Halloween and folks are starting to put away the kiddie pools and slip-and-slides.

Fall's cool, crisp weather also means that rainy days are around the corner. It's time to begin thinking about some indoor activities for your kids that will keep their imaginations running at full steam. A great place to start is at kitsandcaboodles on Etsy. Shop owner Andrea's craft kits designed just for kids are the perfect way to chase away those rainy day blues and bring out your little one's inner artist.

Andrea makes it easy for children to get started on fun paper projects with her Kids Mega Craft Kit. This kit truly has everything your little one needs to create her masterpiece including glitter, pretty beads, colorful papers and fluffy pom-poms. Andrea thought of everything – including the fact that you'd want a place to store all these goodies. Every kit comes packed in a sturdy reusable box making organization a snap.

If you really want to get your little one's imagination going, check out Andrea's Kids Monster Kit, which is filled with everything you could possible need to make a bunch of scary – or goofy – paper monsters. You'll even find craft sticks tucked inside to make puppets for monster-piece theatre!

Andrea's craft kits for kids got their start when she was experimenting with activities for her own daughter. "My daughter is home with me all day, and I hate to plop her in front of the TV," she said. "I had to come up with some activities that would occupy her while I worked. So I started putting little baggies together with activities that she could do by herself."

The Kids Monster Kits were born out of a need to be conscious of how much waste was being create as a family. Andrea often creates using paper, so she had a lot of scraps left over that she discovered were perfect for her daughter's collages. "She started putting the little pieces together into faces, so really, the monsters were her idea," said Andrea. "Its her favorite activity and I love that she needs no direction. We tend to over direct our kids, I think. My monster kit is all about a kids' imagination. I tried to make a few for the listing photos in my shop, but my daughters were always better! "

Andrea's kits really seem to resonate with parents and kids, and it's clear just how much she loves her customers. "I love hearing feedback from customers! They say the sweetest things," she said. "I have a flickr pool so anyone can upload a photo of what they have made from one of my kits and I get so excited to see new photos. When you buy handmade, you are a part of something wonderful."

I hope you take a few moments to check out kitsandcaboodles. I think you'll be delighted by her Kids Monster Kits and Kids Mega Craft Kits. And I'd be willing to be that your kids will love them too! 

Andrea has generously offered a 20% discount to anyone who has read this post and places an order in her shop. Simply type the code "littlepeanut" in the notes to the seller at checkout. Happy shopping!

2 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet feature! Thanks so much Michelle, for your lovely words.

    I've had a wonderful time reading over your blog! (even though I should really be working, this is a much better distraction!)

    Thanks again!
    ♥Andrea
    http:/thewholekitandcaboodle.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea! I'm so glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete