Friday, October 24, 2008

From Writing to Goodie Bags

Friday is usually my big writing day. The end of the week is the perfect time to put aside my sewing machine and hunker down at the computer to compose the latest installment of my weekly writing series, "Imagination at Play", where I introduce you to a fabulous Etsian who sells pretend play items. 

Well, it's Friday night and there's been a slight change of plans that have pushed my writing schedule out a bit (my weekly feature will return next Friday, Oct. 31, when I highlight a really super Etsian - be sure to stop on by between trick-or-treaters!). So, I spent the last 30 minutes putting together these goodie bags for the trick-or-treaters who will drop by my doorstep on Halloween night. 

I'm always looking for creative – and inexpensive – ways to introduce people to my shop. These little goodie bags were incredibly easy to make and cost little more than the price of candy, which I was going to buy anyway. Here's how it's done:
  1. Go to your local craft store and hit the candy making aisle. Pick up a package of small goodie bags. For less than $3, I got 100 plastic bags and silver ties. I didn't use them all so I'll have plenty left over for next year.
  2. Pick up a few bags of candy at your local grocery store or big box discounter. Get the good stuff that you know kids love: mini candy bars and assorted chocolates. This at least ensures that someone (kids or their parents) will look at your goodie bag. Trust me, Tootsie Rolls and Smarties aren't going to cut it here! 
  3. Rummage through your office or craft room and dig up some cardstock or printable business card stock. Type up a cute Halloween message and be sure to include your shop address. Print them out, cut them up or punch them out following the perforated lines, then use your hole punch to knock out a hole to attach the card to your bags.
  4. Package everything up and get ready to hand them out to the ghosts and goblins haunting your doorstep this Halloween. Who knows, maybe you'll even get a sale out of it! 

3 comments: