Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Keeping Doodle Bugs Happy

As a mom I know just how tough it can be to keep a little one happy and occupied while waiting for food to arrive at a restaurant or sitting in the waiting room at the doctor's office. My daughter is only 16 months old, but I'm already looking for things I can bring with me to keep her happy while we play the waiting game.

I saw some crayon rolls posted on Etsy a while back and I got to thinking about how I could improve on a great idea. After a night of brainstorming and pattern making, I whipped up a couple of these Crayon Wallets for my shop.

There's so many things I love about my latest creation. 
  • They're made using scrap fabric, which makes the Craft Rat in me very excited. 
  • They've got pockets for crayons and scratch paper, which keep kids busy and moms relaxed (at least for a few minutes!).
  • The pockets all face the center of the wallet so nothing will fall out and get lost in the bottom of a purse or diaper bag.
  • The wallets close with hook-and-loop tape (a.k.a. velcro), which means that kids can open and close the wallet by themselves. I thought a lot about this part of the design –what good is a crayon keeper if the kids need mom to open and close it?
Right now, I have two Crayon Wallets in my shop: one in a modern bouquet print and another in a tropical sharks print. I'm planning to have eight more completed by Dec. 5, which is the date of my first craft fair. I know a lot of the folks attending the craft fair are parents, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping these wallets will be a hot item.

2 comments:

  1. What a cute idea and your execution of it is great! Enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete