Thursday, December 11, 2008

Maybe It Was the Ninja Turtles

I was 10 years old when I was elected Secretary at Holy Rosary Academy. At the time, it was completely unheard of for a 5th grader to win a school-wide election. School yard politics were dominated by the much cooler 7th and 8th graders.

Somehow, though, I managed to edge out a victory over a popular 7th grade girl. Did my campaign promises of a break-time popsicle/ice cream stand propel me to victory? Maybe.

I like to think my campaign buttons (er... stickers) won over my constituents. I'm sure kids these days make their campaign goodies on the computer, but back in the '80s we still had to make everything by hand. Someone in my family had the brilliant idea to capitalize on every kid's love for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My mom and I somehow convinced my artistic older brother to draw a few for my stickers. She then made a bunch of copies, which I colored, cut out and sealed between two sheets of contact paper. 

I'd vote for whoever Michaelangelo, Donatello, Raphael or Leonardo supported. Wouldn't you?

5 comments:

  1. This is pure brilliance. No wonder you won ... kids know amazing when they see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic. I remember spending a lot of time in junior high on my posters for class treasurer. I wish I had pics of them, although they were probably so cringe-worthy it's a probably a blessing in disguise that I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two funky little peanuts of my own! I love your blog and I love Ninja Turtles! hehe Ill be back!

    ReplyDelete