Friday, January 2, 2009

agent jane

This is going to be an interesting year. Much of the Etsy community is waiting in anxious anticipation for what has been dubbed, "National Bankruptcy Day".  On February 10, 2009 the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) goes into effect, creating stiff regulations for anything manufactured for children under the age of 12. 

While big business will likely continue as usual, the handmade movement will be crippled - at least when it comes to children's items. Everything made for a child under 12 will have to be tested for lead by an approved third-party laboratory. Manufacturers (yes, that even includes folks like me) will have to provide certification that their products have been tested or face the possibility of stiff fines and jail time. Unfortunately, getting certified means spending hundreds of dollars (per test) to test each item I sell for lead. And since I don't own a money tree, I'll have to make some changes.

So what does all this mean for my Etsy shop? Things will continue as normal until February 9, at which time it will likely be placed on hold for a while, at least until the law is (hopefully) amended. My blog will live on, since I love writing about handmade goods for children.

In the meantime, I've been dreaming up ideas for my second Etsy shop, agent jane, which will become my focus until things change with the CPSIA. 

So what's agent jane? It's the place to find bags, purses and totes that lead a bit of a double life. Agent jane bags are on a mission to make everyday tasks like diapering your baby, knitting (okay, more of a hobby than a task) on the go, and grocery shopping beautiful and fun.

You can check out agent jane at any time, but it won't be stocked with bags until February 10. In the meantime, I'll be giving sneak peaks of my bags here on my blog in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed by how quickly you got your business up and running. Agent Jane is a cute name for a second line, and I'm excited to see your bags. I hope you'll get to keep going with Little Peanut Shop sooner than later. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name! Sounds very incognito--will there be cute little tea bags hidden in the pockets? :) I appreciate the amazing amount of work you have put into your shop--I still love my little tea bags and so do the children I work with! I am looking forward to seeing your new bags!

    ReplyDelete