Saturday, January 17, 2009

Little Peanut Goes to Washington... Sort of...

It all started back in November. I was awash in denial after reading a thread in the Etsy forums about a new law, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). 

I admit, there were moments when I considered thumbing my nose at the CPSIA, daring the government to come after me and every little old lady who knits baby blankets for church craft fairs.

But when it comes down to it, I just don't have it in me to break the law. Selling crayon wallets and monster tails simply isn't worth the risk – no matter how slim a possibility – of going to jail.

So instead, I did what every American should do when they don't agree with something the government has done: I called my Congressman, Rep. Dan Lungren. I spoke with a member of his staff, who didn't know much about the law but was surprised by the fact that it will have such a negative impact on small businesses. She promised to call me back with any new information, but I didn't really expect to hear anything since Congress wasn't making moves to change the act.

Thursday night, I received an unexpected call from my Congressman's office as we were leaving Disney World's Magic Kingdom park for the night. As it turns out, I'm not the only one in my area who is concerned about this law. Enough people have called my Congressman's office that the man himself has arranged a meeting with us in his local office this coming Friday!

I'll be there. With my products and my insights as a small business owner.

I don't harbor any illusions of this meeting inspiring sweeping changes in this law. But I get a tiny thrill out of taking part in the democratic process outside of my yearly duties as a voter.

5 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! Good luck, and good job showing what results public activism can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Go girl!! and let us know what happens!

    ReplyDelete