Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lost Mitten

The little miss and I were about 10 minutes into our walk this morning when I heard a little voice say, "Uh oh!"

I turned around to see my bundled up little girl smiling up at me from the wagon, holding up one mitten-less hand. After a quick search of the wagon and a glance down the sidewalk, I figured she must have dropped her mitten quite some time before.

We decided to finish our walk and look for the mitten on our way back home, since we would be taking the same road back to the house. While we walked, I shared a nursery rhyme that I remembered my mom reciting to me when I was a little girl:

Three little kittens,
They lost their mittens,
And they began to cry,
“Oh, Mother dear,
We sadly fear
Our Mittens we have lost!”

“What? Lost your mittens,
You naughty kittens.
Then you shall have no pie.”

“Meow, meow,meow!”
“No, you shall have no pie!”

The three little kittens,
They found their mittens,
And they began to cry,
“Oh, Mother dear,
See here, see here,
Our mittens we have found.”

“What? Found your mittens,
You good little kittens!
Then you may have some pie.”

“Purr, purr, purr.”
“Yes, you may have some pie!”

And then, on our way home, we spotted the lost little mitten. It was hanging from a bush. She must have reached out to touch the bush and snagged it on the branch as we passed. I'm so glad I had my camera this morning; it was such a funny little sight!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the "3 Little Kittens" rhyme and recite it with my children ALL the time:)

    It is so very classic.


    Your photo of the tiny blue mitten snagged by a passing bush is adorable.


    I'm off to look at the crayon wallets in your etsy store!....

    --sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara! I'm so glad you enjoyed this post... I just couldn't resist sharing that story and nursery rhyme. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow....I am getting old....I forgot that nursery rhyme! It was one of my favorites. Love your purse.

    ReplyDelete