Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pretty Glass and Caramel Apples

There were a million questions going through my head as I boarded the plane bound for Orlando, Florida early yesterday morning.

Will the plane leave on time?

Will me make our connection to Florida?

Will we be the least popular passengers on the plane? (i.e. Will our daughter scream the entire time?)

Will I see anything handmade during our stay at Disneyworld?

The answers to those questions are: Yes. Yes. Maybe (she didn't scream the entire time, but had her moments... diaper changes in the plane bathroom are not so fun when you're a toddler). 

And... yes, I did encounter some beautiful - and delicious - handmade goodies at the Magic Kingdom today. I was carrying my slumbering little princess on my back in the mei tai carrier this afternoon for nap time, so I had plenty of time to check out the shops on Main Street. 

I happened to walk into the Crystal Arts shop during an incredible demonstration. The cast member in the photo is a glass artist. He spent quite a bit of time showing us how he adds color to glass, heating it between additions, then stretching it out into a long rod. The best part was that he didn't just work - he interacted with his audience and shared all kinds of interesting information about the scientific properties of glass. When it was cool enough, he cut the rod into smaller sections, which I imagine were going to be used for a beautiful object of some sort. 

Here are just a few of the pretty handmade glass pieces that can be found in the shop:


Unfortunately, I couldn't stay to watch the entire demonstration - I had to keep moving in order to keep my little one sleeping peacefully.

As my luck would have it, the next shop I wandered into was the Main Street Confectionary. I know from my extensive candy tasting experience at Disneyland that the parks often have cast members who hand craft some of the tempting treats they sell. Today, several ladies were behind the glass making caramel apples. Yum!

It's refreshing to think that you can still find a slice of handmade at the Happiest Place on Earth. I think Walt would be pleased as well.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding the handmade goods! I love the shops in Epcot- amazing that Disney can get outside of the mass-produced niche!

    Come home soon so I can see your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! We'll be visiting Epcot in a few days - I can't wait to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time! You have a fun blog! Found you through the Etsy forums. :)

    ReplyDelete