Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ladybugs

Every afternoon my daughter and I wait outside for her daddy to come home from work. She loves to explore the front yard. Most days, she picks up rocks to put in the big bucket she carries around or walks a few doors down to give the fire hydrant a hug.

This week, we discovered that a tiny flock of ladybugs has taken up residence in our lawn. The first time I spotted one, I let it crawl on my finger to show my daughter. But instead of the delighted smile I was expecting, she backed away terrified saying, "No, no, no!" 

That night, though, she kept pointing to my hand until I said, "Yes, the ladybug was crawling on mommy's hand!" She smiled, saying, "Yeah!" I used my fingers to show her how the ladybug crawled on my hand and a new sign was born.

So, each day we've ventured out to the lawn to look for ladybugs. And each day she's lost a little bit of her fear, stepping a bit closer to look at them crawl around in the grass.

Today, she picked up a leaf that had a ladybug on it. Of course, the ladybug started to crawl up her arm. I was so proud of her for not getting upset! The ladybug got most of the way up her arm before she started to worry.

Every time we talk about the ladybugs now, she gets excited and does her ladybug sign. What a wonderful world she lives in. Every day something new and exciting is waiting right around the corner.

4 comments:

  1. Sweet post, ladybugs are so special to find in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that cute? I have two boys - bugs were "the norm" at our house and I hate bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwww--thats so sweet!

    ReplyDelete