Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wedded Bliss

It's been almost two years since I last pulled my beautiful wedding dress out of its muslin-wrapped box to air it out. The seamstress I hired, Diana Ackerman, owner of The Threadbender, to clean and preserve it told me I should do it every year, but last year I found myself a little busy with a new baby in the house.

Opening that lovely gray box and setting aside the tissues to reveal my gown was, as always, an emotional experience. And to have my daughter there beside me (well, behind the baby gate a few feet away) to see it for the first time was a wonderful experience.

I'll carefully pack it away in its archival box tomorrow, but until then I'll think of our vows, first dance, toasts and new beginning every time I pass through my bedroom. And I'll have those memories to carry me through the year until I air it out once again.

9 comments:

  1. beautiful dress! you could use the day to go through your wedding album and remember what a great day it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! My daughter is napping right now... it's the perfect time to sneak a peek inside my wedding album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, we'll have to have a day where we look at each other's albums sometime (once I make mine!). You've reminded me, too, that I haven't had my dress cleaned and preserved. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little one hasn't seen my wedding dress yet but reading your post made me want to show it to her!

    Thanks for listing your promotion on this week's Etsy Deals Post. I'm giving away some free add space (image of any one item in your shop, linked to your home page) if you're interested. You can enter the drawing at

    http://the6oclockstitch.blogspot.com/2009/03/consignment-treasures-special-giveaway.html

    Have a great week!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful dress, and a lovely yearly ritual. I'm in the process of making my wedding dress now so every time I see wedding dresses I get excited!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elephunk - wow! I'm so impressed that you're making your own wedding dress! Congratulations and best wishes for a long, happy marriage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding me! I wrapped up my wedding dress almost 5 years ago... and haven't opened the box since. I've been meaning to do that. I guess I'm scared it will be ruined in some way - so I've been putting it off. I'll do it by Sunday - scouts honor! :-)

    The dress is gorgeous, by the way!

    ReplyDelete