Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bedside Reading

I love being an attachment parent. In the last two years, breast feeding, baby wearing (I can't wait to start wearing the new baby!) and gentle disciple have become a part of who I am – although I still have to work very hard at striving to be my best mother-self, especially when it comes to discipline. 

My daughter was not a great sleeper as a baby, and it took a long time for me to come to enjoy bedtime. In the last few months, though, I've found that gently parenting her to sleep each day for naps and bed time has become a routine I look forward to each day.

Being a toddler, my little miss is big on her routine. First she picks out a few stories to read, which of course sometimes means she grabs virtually every book off the shelf. Then we snuggle in her big girl bed together, with me propped up against some pillows and my little girl tucked in under the covers with her favorite dolls and stuffed animals beside her. We read a few stories, then if it's night time I brush all her doll's teeth, brush her teeth, give her a kiss and tell her I love her. 

After that, I pick up my own book – and a flashlight if it's dark – and transport myself to another time, a different local and into someone else's life. Most days I read until she falls asleep, then I quietly slip out of her room. But sometimes, the book is just too exciting to put down right away so I settle in for an hour or two, reading while my little one slumbers beside me.

I was thinking about this yesterday, when I realized that there used to be a time I would long for this type of luxury, but never took the time in the evening to crack open a book. I was always too busy with other things after work.

Being an a stay-at-home mom has changed things. I definitely don't have time to read while my daughter is awake, but I do spend more time reading while she is asleep than I ever did before. I've become an avid reader, having managed in the last year or so to pour through many of my favorite author's novels and explore new ones. 

Yesterday, I finished reading Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. I happened to spot it last week while searching for something new in the quiet aisles of my local library. I had seen the movie many years ago but had never read the book, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I admit, there have been times when I've read a "classic" only to be disappointed. Not this time. Jane Eyre is truly a page-turner. There were so many unexpected twists (which I will not share with you, to avoid ruining the story) that by the end I simply couldn't put the book down. I had to know how Jane and Mr. Rochester's love would survive and bloom.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! This is one of my all-time favorite books!! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling it would be one of your favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete