Monday, May 11, 2009

Dough Dough

The first words out of my daughter's mouth this morning were, "Dough dough!"

Last night, I told her we were going to make Play Dough. She had no idea what I was talking about, since she'd never laid eyes on one of the colorful balls of dough, but she was incredibly excited. 

We bought her a little set of dough tools yesterday, and she couldn't wait to use them on her "dough dough". She had them all ready to go next to her bed in a little green bucket.

I've never made Play Dough before, but a dear friend of mine had sent me a recipe called "Sweet Smelling Play Dough" that she said her kids adore. I liked the idea of making my own dough, especially since my daughter is still young enough to consider eating it, so I thought I'd give it a try.

So while the little miss ate her breakfast, I whipped up a batch of grape-scented purple Play Dough. It was incredibly easy to make with minimal clean-up. The best part, of course, is that my little one loved it. I think she set a playtime record, spending a remarkable 30 minutes playing quietly in her high chair with her purple dough.

Making your own Play Dough is so much fun. I hope you give this recipe a try. And don't worry, the purple color didn't come off on our hands!

Sweet Smelling Play Dough

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 Kool-Aid drink mix packet
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
4 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix together the water, drink mix and oil. In a pot, mix together flour, salt and cream of tartar. Slowly add the liquid to the pot. Stir to combine.

Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture looks like mashed potatoes. Remove the dough from the pot and allow to cool. When cool, knead the dough until smooth.

Dough lasts a long time when stored in covered container or zip-top bag.

Mix together 2 cups of water

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to try this recipe. My daughter has not discovered play dough yet. So this will be fun to try with her. Do you mind if I link this on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter is sure to love it! And feel free to link my post to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try it, too. Sounds like a great end-of-school classroom activity. Although I will miss the smell of Play-Dough. :-)

    ReplyDelete