Thursday, July 9, 2009

Soft Bums

Cloth Diaper Addicts (CDAs, for short) will tell you it's not just about the diapers. We love the pretty covers, the fun accessories and – of course – those soft cloth wipes.

If you're a CDA like me – one who has some skills at the sewing machine – then cloth diapering your babe is double the fun. Last time around, I sewed all of my daughter's diaper wraps, which I've saved for this baby.

This time, since we decided against paying for a diaper service, I get to make an entire stash of cloth wipes for my little baby's bum. My first shipment of unbleached prefolds arrived on Monday (Thanks, Mom!), which has had me itching to do work on my diaper set-up.

For past few months, I've been eyeballing a stack of flannel receiving blankets that I rarely used when Miss C. was a babe. They were really too small to be useful as blankets... really! But cut up in 8x8 squares... yes, they'll be perfect as wipes!

Of course, I don't really have enough blankets to make all of the wipes I'll need but I do have a ton of flannel in my stash. Most of it is in the form of odd-shaped scraps left over from other projects, but I do have a few long lengths that I haven't found uses for yet. Plus there are those tricky licensed fabrics that I can't use in my shop. As it turns out, I have plenty of fabric to make my wipes. Yes!

After a little late-night research, I discovered that cloth diaper wipes are actually incredibly easy to make. All you need to do is cut your flannel into 8x8 inch squares (I've also made some 4x8 inch rectangles from fabric scraps for smaller wipes). Place two pieces together with the right sides out, then serge around the edges.

If you're like me and don't have a serger, you can use your regular sewing machine. Simply use your overlock setting to stitch around the edges. I went over mine twice with the overlock stitch and didn't have any fraying after a few washes.

2 comments:

  1. When I have a child I intend to use cloth diapers and wipes. Such a nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You young moms amaze me....! Excellent ideas, excellent for the baby and the enviroment. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete