Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Hidden Memories

When it came time to selecting fabric for Miss C.'s scrap quilt, my first thought was my stash. After a thorough ransacking, I realized that I still needed more fabric so I starting thinking of other sources.

It came to me when I was organizing Miss C.'s closet one afternoon. I had spotted the dresses she wore for her first and second birthday parties and couldn't help myself. The cherries print came from her first birthday dress and the ladybugs print from her second birthday dress.

I thought I had found everything I needed. Then, when I was putting some of Master W.'s clothes into storage, I spotted a tiny outfit that Miss C.'s godmother had given to her when she was a wee babe. And I just couldn't resist those adorable little Italian scooters.

I like the idea of stitching memories into a quilt. Scattered throughout the quilt, she'll discover something from many of the women in her family: fabric given to me by my mother, fabric I've used for various projects for Miss C. and my Etsy shop, fabric from her sweet little birthday dresses, and fabric from a delightful little outfit given to her by her godmother.

2 comments:

  1. This quilt is going to be so pretty and so much fun once completed, and something Miss C. can treasure always. (And I'm so glad the vespas made it in!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Suzanne! I'm soooo excited about it! I couldn't resist adding those cute little vespas. It wasn't just the fabric, though. I thought it was important that she have something from you in there too. :)

    ReplyDelete