Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mini Mailbox

Miss C. has recently become interested in mail. She loves opening up junk mail and examining the contents. Cards and photos from friends are even more exciting. Then she discovered that she could help lick envelopes and stick stamps on letters. Now she's obsessed!

I had a light bulb moment today when she was rummaging through my bag of random envelopes* – wouldn't it be fun to make a tiny mailbox for her to play with? I floated the idea to "the boss" and she couldn't wait to get started.

We assembled our supplies: leftover wrapping paper, a small box with lid that easily opens, packing tape, ribbon and scissors. I took the box apart and lined the outside with the paper, then with the help of my assistant sealed all the edges with packing tape. We reassembled the box, added a ribbon handle and printed out a cute little label with "C's Mail" written on it.

The results? Pure cuteness.

* My grandma used to have a bag of random greeting cards and envelopes that she'd draw from whenever she needed to send someone a note or birthday card. Sometimes she couldn't find one for the right occasion, so she'd simply add or cross out a word and - voilĂ ! - instant birthday card. She gave them to me after she went blind a few years ago, and think of her every time I reach for a card or envelope. Thanks, Grandma. I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment