Thursday, March 31, 2011

Baby Quilt #3

Sometimes I think I must be wearing a sign that tells people to give me fabric. Seriously. I think at least 80% of my stash has been gifted to me by people. My mom. Friends. Strangers.

Yes, strangers have given me fabric. 

Take this little baby quilt that I finished a few weeks back (soon to be another donation to a local maternity home). Both fabrics used in the quilt were gifted to me shortly after Miss C. was born. The peach fabric was gifted to me by a sweet little old lady that I've never met – a friend of my husband's wonderful grandmother – who thought I might like to make a dress for my daughter. The blue fabric was a gift from my bargain hunter mom, who had gone on a fabric and pattern binge shortly after becoming a grandmother for the first time. 

I hate to admit it, but I never got around to making those sweet little dresses for my baby girl. Life with a high needs baby made it impossible to even think about sewing dresses that she'd grow out of in a month or two, so that big stack of fabric has sat in my stash for the past three and a half years.

I rediscovered them while hunting for scraps to use in my Project Destash baby quilts. The finished quilt is a bit more traditional than my usual quilting style (I'm a improvisational quilter a heart), but I like how it turned out... 

... even though I chickened out at the last minute and decided against hand quilting it in favor of stitching in the ditch. Maybe next time!

1 comment:

  1. I love that strangers have given you fabric! And how neat that you're making and donating quilts.

    ReplyDelete