Friday, October 14, 2011

Finished: Quilt for 100 Quilts for Kids

I finally finished one of my quilts for the second annual 100 Quilts for Kids charity event, sponsored by the DC Modern Quilt Guild. Quilt bloggers and Modern Quilt Guilds were invited to join in on this year's quilt drive, which took place from September 15 - October 15.

My initial goal was to finish up two UFO baby quilts that had been languishing on my sewing table. I was incredibly to take part in this year's event that I got started right away on a brightly colored baby quilt. Then disaster struck... three times. First, I had trouble with my quilting design (let's just say I'm not good a free motion quilting). Then, after I'd figured out a better quilting design I was plagued with bunching fabric on the back. I was nearly in tears the second (yes, second) time I ripped out the quilting. Oh, and my machine died right around this time, too. 

I was ready to give up. Then I decided to hand quilt it with large stitches all around each block. That was great, only it's taken me a very long time to hand quilt it. The result? Well, since you don't see a photo here you can safely assume that I haven't finished it yet. I'm still working on it, though, and it will eventually be donated.

With the deadline approaching (and my brand-new Janome on my sewing table) I figured it was time to finish the other UFO quilt. My new machine made quilting this green dinosaur quilt a breeze. I decided on organic line quilting, and I love everything about it – from its improvised blocks to the monochromatic color palette. 

This little dinosaur quilt is on its way to the Mother Teresa Maternity Home in Placerville, CA. This maternity home is a temporary residence for pregnant women in need and is near my hometown. They've been in need of items for boys lately, so I thought this quilt would be a good fit for one of their expectant mothers.

I've linked up here:



7 comments:

  1. Looks like a great quilt. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! It will be perfect for a sweet little boy. Sounds like a wonderful place that you donated it to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great quilt - I'm sure it is going to make some little boy very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Miranda, Toni and Allison! :)

    ReplyDelete