Monday, October 31, 2011

"It was a blue jacket with brass buttons, quite new."

I hate to admit it, but Miss C. is 4 years old and this is actually the first time I've made her and Master W. a Halloween costume. Of course, this is also the first year that she had a specific costume idea in mind... and it was something I definitely couldn't buy in a store.

You see, Miss C. loves Beatrix Potter's stories. Our storybook collection is well worn and loved, having been read over and over again. And not just by me! Miss C. has them all memorized and can read them aloud word for word, often narrating the stories with her paper bag puppets (there is one for every character).

This year, my little trick-or-treaters went dressed as Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny. They didn't Miss C. loves Beatrix Potter's stories, so I wasn't at all surprised when she looked to her favorite storybook characters for costume inspiration.

Here's how I put them together:

  • Bunny bodies were made from gray t-shirts and sweat pants. Master W.'s t-shirt was originally a onesie that I altered by cutting off the bottom. I added a white fleece tummy to each shirt using a simple zig zag stitch.
  • Bunny tails were constructed from cotton batting. These were actually pretty easy to make: simply cut a circle of batting, baste around the edge, fill the center with cotton stuffing, then cinch up the basted threads to make a ball. Hand stitch a piece of white felt over the cinched edges, then use a safety pin to attach to the back of the pants.
  • Miss C.'s jacket was made using blue fleece and a $1 McCall's pattern. I added four "brass" buttons and skipped the button holes since I was pressed for time. Master W.'s jacket is actually his own little corduroy jacket. I simply added a few rustic patches to cover the existing truck patches on the jacket.
  • The hats were made using a free pattern that I found online and altered to include bunny ears. Master W.'s hat fit splendidly and the ears actually stood up. I'm not sure what happened with Miss C.'s hat... the ears never wanted to stand up! Oh well. 

Thankfully, Miss C. (who is a stickler for details!) loved the costumes. The kids had a great time trick-or-treating and happily fell fast asleep in their new bunny pajamas as soon as we got home.

You can find me linked up at:





22 comments:

  1. SO FLIPPING CUTE!!!!! Oh my goodness this was sweet, sweet, sweet! That little blue jacket just slays me, can't believe you made this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa!! I had so much fun making it... and it was much easier than I expected it to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, so adorable!!! I bet your little ones were in seventh heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How CUTE!!!! If these were my grandkids, they would be in these costumes everyday for a month! (they love costumes and when the find ones they love they wear them non-stop!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Melissa and Pat! They really loved them, which made me so happy. And it was so cute to see them sleeping in their bunny outfits that night - they make perfect pajamas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute costumes! My kids are too hold for trick or treating now, but I never did find the courage (or patience) to make their costume when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute... right down to the bunny tail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are just adorable -- the costumes AND the kids. :o) Beatrix Potter has always been a favorite of mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So stinkin' cute!! I love it. Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little Miss Benjamin Bunny and little Mr. Peter Rabbit are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute ears!! I had to make Yoda ears this year for Halloween, they were a challenge but turned out super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I bet your Yoda ears were awesome! I dropped by your blog and was bowled over by your hyperdrive quilt. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so cute! Your little ones are very creative to come up with the idea, and you even more so to bring them to life! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Sarah. The credit goes entirely to my sweet little girl. She looooves Beatrix Potter and has turned my son into a fan as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! How adorable! We have "Character Day" at school and the kids dress up as their favorite storybook character. This would be perfect. Great Job!
    Thanks for linking up @ "This Week"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! Looks like they had a blast too!

    Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so cute!! You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, ladies! They had so much fun wearing them. It was worth the effort! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So I'm embarking on Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny for my boys and Jemima Puddleduck and Mr. Todd for my husband and I. Since I've bitten off a LOT I would really appreciate a link to your McCall's pattern (or the pattern number so I can search for it).

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete