Thursday, October 20, 2011

Try New Things Thursday: I Spy Charm Quilt

This week Melissa over at Happy Quilting introduced a new weekly link-up, called Try New Things (T.N.T.) Thursday. Here's my story:

I think I may have lost my mind last week. Not only did I push myself to finish a baby quilt for the 100 Quilts for Kids charity event, I also had a baby quilt to finish for a baby shower being hosted for my cousin's wife this past weekend.

I finally finished hand sewing on the binding around 10 p.m. Friday night. The shower was scheduled for the following afternoon. I was a little worried, but somehow I managed to get it all done in time!

This is my first attempt at making a quilt with sashing and my first time making a charm quilt. Overall, I'm really pleased with the results. I won most of the charm squares in a contest hosted by The Girl Who Quilts a while back (actually, I won two identical charm packs, filled with adorable charms) and had pieced the top together not too long afterward. I then added a single charm cut from my own stash to each row.

Then it sat. And sat. And sat. Waiting for a backing fabric and quilting. A few weeks ago, I received an invitation to my cousin's shower and I knew the quilt had finally found a home. So I dug through my stash and found some coordinating backing and binding fabrics. Of course, now that I'm writing this I realize that I never too a photo of the back... oh well!

Overall, I'm really pleased with how this little quilt turned out. This is the second quilt I've quilted using organic line quilting and I'm really loving the results. The only thing I might have done differently would have been to choose a binding fabric that offered a little more contrast to the white sashing. Still, I'm happy with the end result. And my cousin's lovely wife loved it too, which is all that matters to me.

You can find me linked up at:




29 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic!! I love the look of the organic stitching, I have never tried that but think I just added it to my list of things to try :) Thanks so much for linking up to the first week of TNT :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment! And thanks for starting up TNT - I need the motivation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how that quilt turned out! Keep going with it. BTW, I LOVE your other Toys blog. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, KritsyLou!! And thank you for visiting my toy blog, If Toys Could Talk. It's a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute quilt! I love the wavy quilting lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Another new quilting technique for me to try... :o) Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Heather D. and Heather! I was so happy about how the wavy lines turned out - I'm glad others like them too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute quilt! Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's an amazing little quilt - I love how simply it shows off those charms!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Your quilting is also fabulous!
    Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your lovely compliments, Sarah Craig and FabricsNQuilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous - and I love the quilting!
    Whoop whoop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a sweet finish and a sweet quilt! Whoop! Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable! My favorite kind of quilt (I LOVE I Spy)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so pretty and looks like it took a lot of time and effort, for sure! Would you share it here?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/csh-thursday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Amy! And thanks for the linky invite - I linked up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely quilt! You are very talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love this quilt and I'm another fan of the wavy quilting - must try that some time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Sew Quine! I think you'll love it even more once you try it. It's so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love this!! I Spy quilts can get so busy, but this one is perfect! Great job. :)

    Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! What a simple and striking way to use a charm pack! I'm going to start buying them.

    Thanks for linking up to Sew & Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Angie, amylouwho and Kristen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This quilt came out beautifully! Thank you for sharing at my party!
    ~Kara

    ReplyDelete