Wednesday, November 30, 2011

T.N.T. Thursday: Postage Stamp Quilt


This week I started my very first postage stamp quilt, which I plan to make lap size (another first) for movie watching, book reading, and general couch snuggling. Many thanks to the super sweet Jolene at Blue Elephant Stitches for sending me a ginormous mailer full of beautiful scraps.

This is probably going to sound incredibly geeky, but I swear to you I felt as though I had won the lottery when I poured them all out onto my couch!

After I got over my initial excitement, I spent a little time organizing them loosely by color, then bagged them up and threw in a few of my own scraps. Last night I couldn't resist cutting into some of the green scraps, which is why you don't see those bags (yes, there are two more!) here. 

My plan is to cut the scraps to 1.5" squares and then sew them up into 4" x 4" monochromatic blocks similar to some inspiring blocks I pinned recently.

This should be fun, but I certainly don't expect to finish it any time soon!

You can find me linked up at:


15 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I think it's going to be very cool. But all those little, tiny pieces...you are BRAVE! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to do a postage stamp quilt. And how fun to get scraps sent to you :) Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Pat and Melissa! I'm really, really excited about it. I'll keep posting updates as I go along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel your excitement on making a postage stamp quilt!! I just finished my giddy postage stamp quilt last week that I started in January. It was so fun to make and I love it!! Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caryl, your quilt is amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One day I am going to make a Postage Stamp Quilt! It is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marcia, you should start it! It's a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do not sound geeky at all...I would have felt the same way!! Can't wait to see how your quilt turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. brave! I'd be crossed eyed by the time I finished this project. I agree, work on it in little bits. It will be beautiful when completed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In high school, I always got such a kick from playing with other girl's makeup. Now, it is other girl's fabric! So, you aren't geeky at all! I can't wait to see the progress on this one. It is going to be so beautiful.
    Thanks for linking @ This Week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to make one of these as well!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful fabrics! I just love finding ways to use scraps, especially if they can find their way into a quilt design. :) The postage stamps will keep you busy for a while, but what a lovely quilt you'll have when you finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! All those little squares are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Jolene! It's slow going, but I'm having a lot of fun! I've even had a chance to use some of the scraps for other projects I've posted... perhaps you recognize them in the mug rug, pin cushion and dolly diaper bag I posted about recently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angie: It's good to hear I'm not the only one who does that! LOL

    Diane: You're absolutely right. I've been cutting out my squares here and there, so it hasn't been overwhelming. :)

    Sunni: I love your comment about playing with other girls' fabric - that's exactly how I feel!

    feelincrafty: You should try it! It's a lot of fun. :)

    Jenelle: I can only imagine how long this will take. But you're right: it will be a lovely quilt in the end.

    ReplyDelete