Thursday, December 29, 2011

T.N.T. Thursday: Flying Geese

This week I took the plunge and started a top-secret quilt that involves flying geese. Since this was my first attempt at sewing flying geese, I turned to my good friend Google for advice. I found a couple of great tutorials, but in the end I ended up using Pieceful Kwilter's no waste flying geese tutorial. There were certainly other excellent flying geese tutorials out there but I liked this one best for several reasons:
  1. No waste! Don't get me wrong, I love scraps. But I knew I wouldn't be able to find a use for all of those itty bitty triangles that would be left behind if I used most tutorials.
  2. You get four flying geese every time. This is awesome because I just so happen to need four identical flying geese for each block on this quilt.
  3. There's a handy-dandy little chart to help you out with the math. A must for any quilting newbie like myself!
It's a great tutorial if you happen to be new to flying geese. As of this afternoon, I've finished four blocks and I must say they're ADORABLE! 

I know what you're thinking... why the big secret? Why only show part of a block? The recipient of this particular quilt just so happens to be the one dear friend in my life who actually reads my blog and this post is enough of a spoiler as it is. You wouldn't want me to ruin her surprise, would you?

I promise that I'll post lots of photos as soon as it's finished and gifted!

You can find this project linked up at: 

9 comments:

  1. I love no waste flying geese. thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're awesome! I love your linky party, Melissa. It has been a great motivator for me to stretch my creative muscles each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the link love :)

    i'm glad you found the tutorial helpful....your sneeky peeky looks cool. can't wait to see it finished.

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Pat and Shannon! I can't wait to reveal the final product!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Melissa! I never in a million years thought it could be so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky friend cause it's looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Carla! I can't wait to give it to her!! :)

    ReplyDelete