Thursday, December 15, 2011

T.N.T. Thursday: Teacher gift

Today was my daughter's last day of school before Christmas vacation. Hooray! I'm one of those people who loves having my kids at home all day long. They're crazy. They trash the house. They're often exhausting. But I'm happiest when we're all together, so I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks.

This week I made a few scrappy gifts for my daughter's preschool teacher. We ran into Ms. Tara during lunch on a non-school day a few weeks ago and she mentioned during our conversation that she loves to take long bike rides with her family. Then I learned last week that she loves to sew. After a mental review of my stash (please tell me I'm not the only crazy person out there who has her scraps mentally cataloged), I knew I had everything I needed to make a scrappy mug rug and pin cushion with a cute bicycle fabric as the centerpiece.

This project was full of firsts:


  • First-ever teacher gift. My sweet little girl is four years old and attending preschool for the first time this year. Where did the time go?
  • First log cabin block. I've been meaning to try my hand at log cabin blocks for a while now, but for some reason was a little intimidated. No need! I found a fantastic tutorial for an offset log cabin mug rug over at Stitching By Starlight (a wonderful quilty blog that I follow).
  • First time using a 1/4" binding. I still love 1/2" binding best, but it was nice finally see how it would look on one of my finished projects.
My only regret on this project was forgetting to use my walking foot when quilting up the mug rug. I don't know what I was thinking. Okay, I do. It was late. I was tired. And... well... I just wasn't thinking! Other than being slightly off kilter, I think it turned out great!

You can find me linked up at:

15 comments:

  1. So cute!!! I bet the teachers are going to love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa and Caryl! I hope they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously cute! They will be cherished, I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, RobbieJoy! I sure hope she loves them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I am sure they will be loved. Enjoy the school vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Diane! I'm definitely looking forward to some down time with the kiddos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mug rug and the pincushion - they're both so cute and I'm sure they'll be well-loved and used! Enjoy your kids over the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You put so much thought into them! They will be cherished for sure Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a retired teacher, I would love to have had YOU for a parent. These are delightful gives. I'm sure the preschool teacher will be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the mug rug and pincushion! Great teachers gifts. Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, thank you, thank you Sarah Craig, FabricsNQuilts and Kim! And Suzanne, your comment was so sweet it made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such nice ideas for teacher gifts! I would love for you to add it to my Best of 2011 link party, as well as any other projects you are most proud of from this year. Visit http://www.petalstopicots.com.
    ~Kara :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea for the teacher!! I would love for you to come link up at our link party going on right now...junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/12/link-it-up-wednesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fabrics you chose for the teachers. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete