Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIP Wednesday: First Blocks

So here they are. The first set of completed blocks for my scrappy postage stamp quilt. I've had a lot of fun putting these together, and have even developed a method to the postage stamp madness that has overtaken my sewing table:
  1. Sort scraps by color. (Done!)
  2. Cut scraps into 1.5 x 1.5" pieces. (Done!)
  3. Choose a color – I chose blue – then organize pieces into blocks. (Done!)
  4. Make mini stacks of 16 pieces for each block and store on a cookie sheet for later assembly. (Done!)
  5. Assemble each block. (In progress.)
I think I have about 16,587,309 pieces left to go on this quilt. Okay, so that may be a slight exaggeration... but really I've only scratched the surface. 

Miss C. loves this project. We've been phasing out her nap lately, and like to spend Master W.'s nap time together working on my quilting projects (or as she says, "Is it time to go play with fawic?"). She helps me out with the pinning, organizing and sewing, and we spend a lot of time simply talking. We have so little time together, just the two of us. I love that we can just "be" when we're together like this. 

This is my first week ever linking up with Lee's WIP Wednesday.

Completed Projects:
  • None
Ongoing Projects:
  • Scrappy postage stamp quilt: 13 blocks completed
  • Super-secret project - 17 of 20 blocks completed. Woot!
  • Miss C.'s coat - No progress. I only have to pick out the buttons and sew them on to finish this one... no more stalling! I'm putting it out there now, so I must complete it by next week! 
You can find me linked up at:

12 comments:

  1. oh, i love the sneak preview...i can't wait to see the finished postage stamp quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mollie! I can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great scrappy quilt that will be. So fun!!! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have more patience than I, how big are you planning on making it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Melissa! I really love your linky party - it's such great incentive for keeping my creative juices flowing every week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colby, it's going to be a lap quilt. Of course, I really have no idea how big a true lap quilt is... LOL I guess I'll find out when I've finished piecing all the blocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those blues....and can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be wonderful! I loved your tips on organizing for the quilt and your sense of humor! Keep up, it's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A postage stamp quilt is on my list of things to make someday. I love your blue squares! And it's nice you can spend quality time with DD cultivating a future shared hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Caryl W.: Thank you! I love them too - seeing some of them completed really makes me believe I made the right choice in going with monochromatic blocks.

    @ Dee: I'm so glad you got a chuckle out of my post. There really are so many little squares... It's rather dizzying!

    @ Crafty Tokyo Mama: Thank you for your sweet comment. I really do dream that my daughter will someday love sewing and quilting as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh!!! and you quilt too??? I love it. I once made a star quilt with friendship stars that included a postage stamp border with tiny little friendship stars intermitten... I really love to piece quilts. I'm so excited to spend some time at this blog too. count me in!

    Robyn @ penpalsandpicturebooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Robyn, that quilt sounds incredible! Welcome and thanks for following along! :)

    ReplyDelete