Monday, March 26, 2012

Festival of Scrappiness (Part 2)

Here's Part 2 of my scrappy saga (click here for Part 1), which I've separated into two posts so I can enter both baby quilts into the Festival of Scrappiness:

Quilt #2
This baby quilt is slated for donation, though quite a bit smaller than the first at 32 x 41". Do not adjust your monitor... this one is insanely bright! All of solids you see in the quilt are scraps from the nursery bedding set I made before Miss C. was born almost five years ago (eep!).

I went through a phase about six or eight months ago where I thought I loved modern, improvisational piecing... so I gave it a go. But by the time I got to block #23, I was sick of it and shoved the entire project to the bottom of my WIP bin. I guess I didn't really love it as much as I thought, eh? Flash forward to about a month ago when I found them again and wondered what in the heck I was going to do with them.

Even after finishing an extra block, I knew there simply wouldn't be enough blocks to make an entire quilt so I hopped on over to JoAnn's and found (amazingly!) the perfect fabric to complement the craziness of the blocks. I added some sashing to the outside using more scraps to complete the top, and I must say it's grown on me. It's not my taste, but it's fun and bright. Perfect for a baby!

Postage Stamp Quilt Update
And lest you think I've forgotten about my postage stamp quilt... I'm still working on it. So far, I've finished 215 blocks and worked my way through all of my red, pink, coral, aqua, blue and yellow squares! I'm still working through the oranges and when those are finished I'll be left with one last color: green. (And while I was counting my blocks, I realized I haven't yet posted photos of my pinks or yellows. Oops! Looks like a post for later this week...)

Wow! Two baby quilt tops finished and one massive postage stamp quilt in progress. That's a lot of scraps!

You can find this post linked up at:

10 comments:

  1. I love bright quilts. And all of your different blocks look really cool in the quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out in the end.

      Delete
  2. Very unusual fabric, but it looks great! Oooo more blocks can't wait to see them! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's rather unusual. Thankfully, it all works together. :) I'll try to post those other blocks soon!

      Delete
  3. That IS a lot of scraps. Love that pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Stopping by from QuiltStory.

    Mrs.Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that stack of postage stamp blocks! This project is so much fun to watch grow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! It's really such a great visual representation of just how massive this project has become. I've been a little stalled on my sewing lately, but I'm hoping to get my mojo back soon. I have three quilts to finish and at least one in my head that I'd like to start.

      Delete