Monday, March 26, 2012

Festival of Scrappiness (Part 1)

I can't believe it's time! Over the next several days, quilters across the web will be posting their scrappy quilt projects at Stitched in Color's Festival of Scrappiness in a happy conclusion to the Scrap Attack Quilt-Along.

If you've been following along here, I've been working on a scrappy postage stamp quilt for the quilt-along (my very first!). A few weeks ago I realized that as much as I wanted to enter that quilt into the Festival of Scrappiness, there was no way I was going to finish stitching up all of those tiny squares and sew all the blocks together to make a top in time for the festival.

So, I spent a week working on two scrappy baby quilt tops (that I was planning to make anyway) to use as my entries instead.

Quilt #1
This top is going to be a large baby quilt for my sister-in-law (40 x 49" in size), who is expecting baby girl #2 in late June. She's not a huge fan of pink for her girls, so I decided to go with bright green. After a little digging, I found exactly what I was looking for: a bag of bright green scraps and another bag of black-and-white ones. Both bags were filled with scraps that I set aside when selecting colors for my postage stamp quilt. They weren't a good fit for that project but I knew they'd come in handy later.

All of the scraps were cut to 6" lengths and 2, 3, or 4" widths. After a laying everything out, I stitched them all together in order by size... first smallest to largest then back to smallest again, repeating the pattern several times to get the quilt width I was after. I was able to get four rows out of the scraps, but that wasn't quite enough for a quilt so I found a remnant of white laying in my bin to pull it all together.

You can find this post linked up at:


Read on for Part 2...

24 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love those colors together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love how well they work together, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow looks great! I love green and black together! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out great. Smart way to make it work and from scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased that I was able to use scraps for this one.

      Delete
  4. It's really pretty! Never having been fond of pink myself, I can understand your sister. So kind of you to keep her preferences in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's one of the sweetest, most thoughtful women I know. I just want to make her happy when she opens up her gift. :)

      Delete
  5. How fun! Stopping by from QuiltStory.

    Mrs.Hearts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those colours together - what a beautiful baby quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited to see how it will look after I quilt and bind it. :)

      Delete
  7. So cute!!! I love the color combos!!! That green just pops!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad the colors work so well together.

      Delete
  8. This is really striking...I love, love the green with black & white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not sure I would have ever thought to add the black had there not been the butterfly print that had all three colors in it.

      Delete
  9. This is a wonderful baby quilt - really refreshing colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Popping over from Happy Quilting TNT Thursdays - I love this quilt! I saw it on the Festival of Scrappiness too. Very nice :) Amy from www.craftyshenanigans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colours; such a cute quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a blast putting it together and can't wait to finish it. :)

      Delete
  12. I really LOVE the colors and that it is a non-pink baby girl quilt! Fantastic and modern and will grow up with the baby. Terrific quilt! I'm inspired to make something bold for my "bun in the oven" - all of this pastel baby stuff is pretty boreing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pastel can be rather boring – sometimes is just much more fun to go with something bright! Congratulations on your pregnancy! And thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete