Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Pretty Little Dress

This pretty Tina Givens fabric showed up in my mailbox about a week ago, courtesy of the lovely Erin of Billy Button Design. I found Erin's blog through the Fugly Fabric Party back in February. She was giving away several fabric bundles, and I was lucky enough to snag two one-yard cuts of not-at-all-fugly Tina Givens prints.

I took one look at this pretty cream, yellow, purple and gray print after ripping open the package and immediately knew I would use it to make a teeny-tiny newborn dress.

I should note that this is my very first attempt at making a baby dress. I always wanted to sew for Miss C. when she was a wee babe, but never found the time or energy. She was a very needy baby and I was a first-time mama. Combine the two and one doesn't exactly feel up to doing much sewing!

That's said, a dear friend of mine (the same one for whom I made the yet-to-be-revealed quilt) is very pregnant and just passed her due date a few days ago. I thought she could use a little something sweet to dress her baby girl in after she comes home from the hospital, so I whipped up this dress a few nights ago using the (free!) Infant Peasant Dress pattern from Sew Much Ado.

Though I love the dress pattern as-is, I decided to switch things up just a little bit by using a coordinating print for the sleeves instead of making the dress using a single fabric. I think it added that little extra *something* to make the dress just perfect.

It's rather silly, I know, that I can't bring myself to reveal her other gift before giving it to her while blogging about this one before it has even gone in the mail. The quilt is just so special and took me so long to make that I just can't bear to stick it in the mail or spoil the surprise online. So it sits in its pretty wrapping, waiting for her little girl to arrive so I can deliver it in person.

But I can't wait on this sweet little dress – it's going in the mail tomorrow. Who knows, maybe it will arrive the same day as her baby girl!

You can find this post linked up at:

24 comments:

  1. Wow Fantastic. I love your imagination. I would never have thought to use it. Looks super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you like it. I think the best thing about the Fugly Fabric Party was that we could send fabrics that we didn't know what to do with off to folks who could view them with fresh eyes and turn them into something new. :)

      Delete
  2. That is so adorable. Love your theory on the quilt that you'd rather deliver it in person!! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! I'm glad my silly theorizing made sense!

      Delete
  3. That dress looks fantastic! I have 3 little girls (the oldest is 6) and I've JUST started making things for them. Raising kids, especially if you're home with them all day, takes a lot of time and patience. My youngest is 15 months old, and I am just finding time to sew again.

    The sleeves really make that dress spectacular and I agree, the fabric is not ugly at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one. I only started sewing clothes for my daughter in the last year, and even then it's not as often as I'd like.

      Delete
  4. That dress is so totally adorable!!! I love it!!! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so adorable! I really need to start sewing dresses-- I have a small obsession with matching outfits and matches are getting hard to find in a broad range of sizes--- that is so cute and it doesn't look too hard (though here the trying on with pins is always the challenging part.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter loves to match with her little brother and *that's* a huge challenge. I really need to sew for them more so I can make it happen for her (he's still too young to care one way or the other).

      This dress was super easy. I really wish there was a tutorial for big girl sizes, though. And trying things on with pins is a tough one! I try to avoid it whenever possible. :)

      Delete
  6. Good morning, Michelle.Love the dress.It is very beautiful! You did a great job on it. I know the mother will be very happy to receive it.
    I finally finished the quilt top I was making for my youngest grandson.Your generosity with the fabric helped me more than you know. With the fabric you sent, I had enough to finish it.
    One down- Two to go! I would send a picture, but I don't have a camera. And I sure wouldn't know how to put it on the computer. This thing is still confusing to me.
    I have a question to ask. I signed up for Google Account. I know it posts my name because I can see it. But does it also posts my e-mail address so you can see it? The reason I am asking is because I want to stop posting my address when I comment on a blog for a contest. I have been getting some strange (weird) e-mails lately.
    Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I'm so glad you were able to use the fabric to finish your grandson's quilt! :)

      As to your question, what you'll want to do is change your status from "No-reply blogger" to allow Blogger to put a link to your email address in your profile. You need to do the following:

      • In blogger.com, click on Dashboard
      • Select "Edit Profile"
      • Check the box for "Show my Email Address"
      • Save changes

      I hope that helps! :)

      Delete
  7. That is the cutest little dress ever!

    Vicki @ Quilting Lodge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! I heard from my friend and she loves it!

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much Michelle! I did what you said so I hope I did it right. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think adding the yellow floral fabric for the sleeves has really made the dress!!! Great job on making your first baby dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for visiting JAQS Studio's "Made by ME" Linky Party Wednesdays. I featured your project this week :)

    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/03/made-by-me-23-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is soooo cute! I only had boys (and their first cousin is...a boy). It seems all my friends (new and old) also only have boys. Maybe this is all for the best, since I have such a weakness for cute flowery dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No girls to shop or sew for? That must be tough! LOL I do love shopping for my son, though... All those garbage truck and construction equipment shirts are adorable. :)

      Delete