Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Finally.

It's been nearly a month since my last post, and it sure feels good to finally finish something again. There's been a bit of a sewing blackout 'round these parts lately, but it's time to put an end to all that and get back to stitching.

This fun little baby quilt was made using a charm pack of one of my favorite new lines, Aneela Hoey's A Walk In the Woods. Don't you just love Red Riding Hood and the wolf? This is my first foray into the world of precuts, and I've come to a few conclusions about charm packs:
  1. They're a great way to test out a fabric collection. I love that I spent less than $10 for a little sampling of each of the prints in this line.
  2. A single charm pack can make putting together a baby quilt a breeze.
  3. They're a little limiting in what you can do with them if you're making a quilt, especially if you only have one charm pack on hand. I did a huge search for quilt ideas and while many were lovely they required more than one charm pack... and I only had one to work with. That, and there are only so many ways you can cut a charm pack to make a baby quilt.
  4. You may receive a few repeat prints/colors but be missing others. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but something I'll remember for next time.
In the end, I love how this little quilt turned out. I used Denyse Schmidt prints from JoAnn for the backing and binding – it's amazing how perfectly the colors matched up with A Walk In the Woods. I machine quilted the top using straight line stitching and hand finished the binding. 

I've donated this quilt to the Newman Catholic Community at Sacramento State to be sold at their silent auction next week. I'm hoping my quilt will raise a little money to help support their mission at our local university.

You can find this project linked up at:

10 comments:

  1. I find charm packs handy but restricting too! A big fan of Aneela Hoey though. Did you see her new line for Christmas? It's on Hawthorne Threads.
    Good luck with the Auction next week. I'm sure it will fetch a good price for your fundrasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked it out and it's adorable! She really does design the cutest fabrics! Thanks for the well wishes, Erin! :)

      Delete
  2. What a sweet little quilt! I love it :) well done! just fantastic, I'm sure whoever wins it will treasure it! (I LOVE the fabric!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! I love the fabric, too. I kept finding myself longing for a big version of the quilt... you know, just big enough to get nice and snuggly on the couch. Aneela Hoey really does design the best fabrics.

      Delete
  3. I love charm packs, they do tend to cut off some of the actual picture you may have wanted though.
    Love the quilt you made =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. If you're looking for fussy-cut, you're far better off doing it yourself. I'm glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  4. It is a beautiful quilt and I am sure whomever ends up with it will just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt looks great. A Walk in the Woods was one of the first charm packs I used to make a baby quilt. I like how you used the white blocks to make a bigger quilt. I agree with your points about charm packs and I've also tried to come up with ways to make baby/small quilts using one charm pack combined with a solid - I've made just a few(and have blogged about it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I really do love charm packs. I just wish they weren't quite so limiting. I'm going to check out your blog. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete