Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I finally made something for myself!

I love to sew for my friends and family. So much so, that I often "forget" or simply find excuses not to make things for myself. Deep down, I think it's easier for me to make something for someone else because I'm so indecisive when it comes to my own sense of style.

Do you find yourself falling into that trap? Or are good at treating yourself to wonderful made-by-me goodies?

Well, the planets must have been aligned this week. Not only did I receive a gorgeous set of scraps in the mail, but I also happened to see Svetlana's post over at s.o.t.a.k. handmade about an adorable armrest pin cushion that she made this week using a tutorial by Amy at During Quiet Time.

The moment I saw it I knew: that pin cushion tutorial and my new scraps were meant to be together.

Of course, in that same moment I also realized that I had long ago pinned that very same tutorial. Note to self: check your Pin Boards more often for project inspiration. That's why you have them!

This was such an easy project, made easier by the fact that there were a great quantity of 2.5" squares in the scrap bags. There were enough, in fact, to make all five of the nine patch blocks without having to cut a single square!

After making the blocks, I sorted through my own scrap bin for the binding fabric, coordinating yellow for the pin cushion itself (the pretty orange Heather Ross print also came with my scrap goodies), a pretty pink to line the pockets and the muslin to balance it all out.

Don't you just love my oh-so-organized system? Sew first. Check for coordinating fabric later!

I just love how bright and scrappy it is. I know it will make me smile every time I pull it out for a little hand stitching on the couch.

You can see all the pretty details in the photos below. Can you tell that I'm just a wee bit happy with how it turned out?

You can find this project linked up at:







8 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! Sometimes you do need to make something for yourself! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! You are so right! It really felt good to finally treat myself. Now I'm ready to get back to sewing for all of my favorite people. :)

      Delete
  2. Those prints-- together-- they just sing! Love love love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Whitney!!! I really, really love how it turned out. And you're right about the prints together - they are so vibrant and pretty together. :)

      Delete
  3. HI Michelle. This is so cute! I really like it. This is what I need to make for me. I have been hand sewing all week appliqueing Sunbonnet Sue quilt blocks. And i'm afraid I have the bad habit of sticking the pins in the couch when I finish a section. The problem is I forget about them and then my husband finds them. Needless to say, he doesn't like it. Oh, well. I wonder why we make things for other people, but seldom make things for ourselves? Talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I do that too! I think I learned the pin-in-the-couch trick from my mom. :) You really should make one of these. It's so easy. I had mine finished in a few evenings. I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgets to make things for herself! ;)

      Delete
  4. Nice job! I just made another one of these this week as a gift. They are great for scraps. Glad you enjoyed it and good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! I love your tutorial and I'm planning to make another one soon for my mom. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete