Sunday, May 20, 2012

Secret Project Finally Revealed... and Blogger's Quilt Festival!

It's been nearly four months since I finished this beautiful baby quilt for my dear friend. I had originally planned to give it to her at her baby shower back in February, but Master W. got sick and I had to stay home.

I spent a day or so debating with myself as to whether or not I should wait and hand deliver it or simply drop it in the mail (she lives two hours away so we don't see each other often). In the end, the quilt was just too special for anything but a personal delivery, so it sat wrapped and waiting until the baby was born and we could arrange a day to visit.

Flash forward to this past weekend when hubby and I were finally able to meet the sweet and super adorable Miss I. for the first time... and deliver her quilt in person!

I'm so pleased that my friend and her husband loved the quilt.

My friend S. has a great love for rabbits, so when I was dreaming about making her baby's quilt I knew I had to somehow include a rabbit print. After hours of searching online fabric stores for inspiration, I finally stumbled upon Sarah Jane's Dolls print for the Children At Play collection. Not only did I fall in love with the sweet scenes of little girls playing with their dolls, but there was a little rabbit popping up in one of the doll prams!

That single image sparked my imagination and led to the design of the quilt you (finally!) see here. I decided to do sawtooth stars (a first for me) with fussy cut centers containing images that reminded me of childhood. If you look carefully at the stars, you'll find cuts from:
All the of the star points were made using coordinating prints I picked up at JoAnn, with one or two prints pulled from my scraps. I pieced the back using up all of the leftover strips of fabric, along with a few other prints I picked up for the project (Balloon for Children at Play and Tortoises for Little Apples). The binding is some leftover pink polka dot fabric that I happened to have sitting in my stash at the time. 

Many thanks to the super sweet Jennifer at Ellison Lane Quilts who helped me out with some great advice during this project. If you haven't been to her blog before, be sure to stop on by. She is awesomely talented!

This is by far my favorite quilt, and it's the one that brings me the most pride... so much so, that I've entered it into this year's Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side

I hope Miss I. enjoys it for many years to come. It was a pleasure to make and a joy to give it to her.

You can find close-up photos of the front of the quilt on Flickr. This project has been linked up at:


44 comments:

  1. Lovely - thank you for sharing your thought process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the quilt and my post. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful. Such a special baby gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you fussy cut for the center of the blocks. This is such a cute quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those fussy cuts are my favorite part of the quilt, too! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you love the quilt! :)

      Delete
  4. So simple with the stars, but the fussy cutting makes it so fun to look at! You just want to take your time and look at every star to see what is in the center! SO cute and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking when I designed the quilt with fussy cuts. I'm really hoping that as Miss I. grows, she'll enjoy each star.

      Delete
  5. Michelle! I love it so much, it's absolutely beautiful and such a treasure :) well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn!!! :) It was such a pleasure to make. I will definitely do a variation on it again someday.

      Delete
  6. Wow, nice quilt. From the little surfing I've been doing, the baby quilt category is going to be a tough one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not all at surprised by that. Baby quilts are so fun to make and there are so many talented quilters out there!

      Delete
  7. The quilt looks gorgeous and so cute! I love all the prints. I think I'll have to add some of those fabrics to my list =D


    I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! They all ended up becoming my favorite prints!

      Delete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous!! Love everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a happy quilt! I love all of the wonderful fussy cuts, and the thought and attention you paid to the special prints you chose really make it that much more special. Baby I is a lucky girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin, for your sweet comment! I loved using the fussy cuts... They read "made" the quilt for me. :)

      Delete
  10. I love this quilt. What a great way to use novelty prints. I LOVE stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! This was my first project with stars and they were so much easier than I thought they'd be. :)

      Delete
  11. Michelle, it is just beautiful! I absolutely love how it turned out. You did a wonderful job and I am so glad your friend loved it. Thank you so much for the shout out and the super kind words. You are too sweet!
    Way to go on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! I truly appreciate your help and advice, and I meant every word I said. You're a great example of the generosity and overall sweetness that can be found in the online quilting community, and it meant a lot to me that you took the time to help me out. :)

      Delete
  12. It's beautiful! I love all the different prints you used for the centers of the stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Stephanie! I had a lot of fun picking out those prints. :)

      Delete
  13. Your quilt is so great. I love the fussy cuts for the centers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! That's definitely my favorite part! :)

      Delete
  14. Beautiful quilt
    Wonderful job and I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Winnie! It's definitely my absolute favorite quilt finish so far.

      Delete
  15. I love your quilt. So pretty. Love the fussy cut centres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shontelle, for your sweet comment and for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  16. I love the fussy cuts! Lucky little one to receive this welcome to the world quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nita! I really hope she enjoys looking at all of the cute little images as she grows. :)

      Delete
  17. I love this quilt. I am sure it will be loved for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow - I love this quilt! Front and back. What an awesome way to display those adorable prints. I've been wanting to try a star quilt and now seeing this, it has moved to the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! You should definitely try a sawtooth star quilt! It's actually easy - all you really have to learn how to do is make flying geese. You can find the tutorial I used linked up here: http://littlepeanutshop.blogspot.com/2011/12/tnt-thursday-flying-geese.html. :)

      Delete
  19. This is so adorable!!! I love the fussy cut centers :) And the scrappy backing, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! It was so much fun to make and I'm so incredibly pleased with how it turned out.

      Delete
  20. M, I am woefully behind at checking my favorite blogs, but we just love the quilt! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about it, I know how it goes! :) I'm so glad you guys love it!!!! :)

      Delete
  21. It's a lovely little quilt and quite a thoughtful one too. I love it and am happy your friend and her husband do too. How could they not? :) I'm sure she'll treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm so glad to hear that you love the quilt as much as I do! :)

      Delete