Monday, July 9, 2012

Miss M.'s quilt

We're having fun Disneyland this week (hooray!), so I wrote this little post up ahead of time to keep things fresh over here at needle and nest. So while I may not respond to comments right away, I will be checking in and responding in the evenings after I've tucked my two tired munchkins into bed. Thanks for visiting!

My sweet niece, Miss M., was born a week ago today. She made quite an entrance: she was born 10 days late and weighed in at a whopping 10 lbs.!

My mom went to Texas to help my brother and sister-in-law with their other little sweetie, Miss E., so she was able to deliver this baby quilt for me just before Miss M.'s arrival. I love baby quilts and blankets, but I know from my own experience as a mother that a larger one will be well loved through the toddler years and beyond so I made this one extra large for my sweet niece.

The quilting on Miss M.'s scrappy little quilt was a test run for the wedding quilt I'm going to start for my older brother and his fiancee in a few weeks. It's all straight line quilting, done using my walking foot. The main difference between this quilt and the others that I've straight-line quilted is that I had a lot of fun changing direction and intersecting my lines. I think it really gives the quilting a sense of movement and vibrancy.

I did get a chance to show the quilt to my brother and future sister-in-law before my mom left for Texas, and they love it (thank goodness!) and are eager for me to get started on their quilt.



Of course, I completely forgot to take photos in my haste to finish the quilt before my mom left for Texas. Thankfully, my mom was able to snap a few before she left. Thanks, Mom!



You can find this post linked up at:

14 comments:

  1. The quilting looks fantastic! I agree- the movement really add to the quilt :) confession: though I've pieced many many many quilts I haven't quilted any. I always take them to a talented friend for the quilting and binding. So, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that! :) I took my very first big quilt - Miss C.'s twin-size – to an old friend who happens to do long arm work. She did an incredible job and I still love it. Those long arm quilters are amazing and they can really put the finishing touches on an already lovely quilt.

      Delete
  2. Great looking quilt! Such an awesome colour combo! Loving the quilting pattern =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! It took quite a while to quilt it all up, but it was worth it! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quilt! Love the movement that the quilting adds to it. The colours are just lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Melissa! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. inspired to get out my blacks and limes--thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love that color combination - I hope you find a fun project for yours!

      Delete
  6. Glad those pics were taken, the quilt is adorable and I love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The colors are even more vibrant in person. I'm so glad you like how it turned out. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Another beautiful one - you are really great at this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :) I love making them - it's so satisfying to go through the whole process and be able to give a part of myself to the people I love.

      Delete