Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Peach crisp

Today I made peach crisp for the first time.

After the week I've had*, it felt good to bake. To do something normal again. Look at those gorgeous peaches. And that amazing wooden fruit box!

My hubby's grandma (I can't even begin to tell you what a treasure she is!) has a peach tree in her backyard and apparently the branches were so heavy with fruit this year that she had propped them up with wooden boards.

The box is on loan from her house, I'm sure she's had it from the days when her late husband was a store manager at their local Safeway grocery store – hubby's parents used it to collect the fruit during their visit this week.

The peaches are yummy and ripe and taste of summer. The kids have been enjoying them with meals, but with so many in the box I knew I had to make a special something so none of that sweetness would go to waste. I didn't have the time or energy to whip up a pie crust, so I narrowed my choices to a cobbler or crisp.

A quick internet search yielded a recipe for maple peach crisp over at The Pioneer Woman. Of course, we just moved a few days ago so I was missing a few key ingredients, like lemon and maple syrup. Oh, and I didn't bother with the sauce.

But you know what? It was yummy and easy and absolutely perfect.

Exactly the way a dessert should be.


*Our vacation was wonderful... until the last day when a nasty virus began to make its way through my entire family. We ended up spending an extra night in a hotel so my husband could recover enough to drive home and Miss C. could recover after being hit with it on the ride home. We finally made it home just in time for me to fall ill with the plague... or whatever it was we had... and then Master W. contracted it a day later. Oh, and did I mention we had to move into our new house four days later? Yeah, good times! Fortunately, we survived and all is well again!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Michelle. I am glad you are home and feeling better. It's rough being sick and pregnant too. But I am happy everyone had a great time. Those peaches look sooo good. And the desert looks even better. It made my mouth water just looking at it.Georgia is known as the peach state and you use to get some of the most wonderful peaches on the side of the road as you traveled down the expressway.There would be produce stands set up all along the road, but not anymore. Not allowed. I really miss them. Well, take care and I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce,

      Thank you for your kind words. My hubby's parents recently visited Georgia and they loved everything about your lovely state, especially the food. Someday we want to make a trip out there too. I've been itching to get my hands on some authentic biscuits and gravy, and maybe even some fried green tomatoes! :) I can only imagine how wonderful the peaches must be around where you live. You're right, though, it is too bad you don't have such easy access to them anymore.

      Delete
  2. Wow that sounds and looks delicious now I'm hoping our peach tree bears fruit.

    Wow that sounds very odd. Did you find out what the virus was caused by? Hope the moving in is going well. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie!

      You're so lucky to have a peach tree! I hope you are blessed with lots of fruit this year. They really are so delicious in the summertime.

      We're not entirely sure where we picked up the virus, but we were at Disneyland at the time. There are so many thousands of people there touching surfaces that no matter how often you wash you're hands it's still quite easy to pick something up. Thankfully, we're all better now. Whew! :)

      Delete
  3. MICHELLE! Hi :) it's fun to see a new post from you, and about MY FAVORITE FRUIT! Fresh peach pie will be coming my way SOON... that is the best thing in the world (ala mode of course) though I too enjoy a peach cobbler and your crisp look fabulous! Love both the pictures you shared. Summer at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robyn!! :) Have you seen Smitten Kitchen's peach pie recipe? It just posted this week and I thought about making it. Then I snapped back into reality and realized homemade pie crust wasn't going to happen this week. But it looks soooo good! Let me know how yours turns out. :)

      Delete
    2. I always make my grandmothers recipe, it's divine. My mom drew it for me (in calligraphy and illustration) and it hangs on my wall all summer long :) It will be good!

      Delete
    3. Ooooooh, and old family recipe! What a wonderful gift from your mom! Do you usually make the recipe more than once a summer or is it just a special one-time thing each year?

      Delete