Thursday, August 23, 2012

First day of Kindergarten.

Today was Miss C.'s first day of Kindergarten!

The day didn't exactly go as expected, but we survived and will live to go to school another day. My little sweetie awoke excited about her big day. She couldn't wait to get dressed in her uniform. She helped me make her snack (the first two days of school are minimum days, so snack only). And she couldn't wait to load up her lunch box and backpack.

Master W., whom I thought would remain completely oblivious to the proceedings, was the first to burst into tears. We were packing up her snack when my little guy started crying and it only took a moment for me to realize that had just dawned on him that his playmate, his Sissy, was going be gone for school. My heart broke a little and I did my best to console him... then he ran off to play with his cars. So much for 2.5-year-old heartbreaks!

We took lots of pictures before we left, including a couple of the snack I packed for her (cheese sticks, flower shaped watermelon pieces and a cut strawberry). Check out the kitty and doggie picks! I picked those little cuties up this summer in anticipation of school starting, and just recently received our bento boxes in the mail. This little strawberry box has a snap-top lid, which makes it easy for little hands to open. And, of course, it's pink... which makes it just perfect in Miss C.'s book.

Anyway... we arrived at school and joined the crush of parents dropping their little ones off for the first day of school. Miss C. was still all smiles as we entered her classroom, found a hook for her backpack and headed for her desk. I waited around just long enough to watch a few other parents leave then I figured it was time for me to go.

Just as I started to say goodbye with a kiss and an "I love you! See you in a few hours!", she started to tear up.

Now, I'm a big softie. And I have battled all my life with crying too easily. Seeing my daughter crying was gut wrenching... and tear inducing. Thankfully, her teacher was right there to help reassure her so I could beat a hasty retreat after a slightly tearful attempt to console her. I knew that I couldn't stay any longer... it would only make it that much harder for both of us.

I had my big tearful breakdown last week, so I was able to swipe away those few tears running down my cheeks and make it home without losing it.

At pick-up time, I took a moment to talk to her teacher and, as I suspected, she did just fine after I left. She did have a few crying jags tonight – as I suspected, she was completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of people at school. (Apparently certain introverted aspects of her parents' natures can be passed on to children – go figure!)

I'm just glad we made it. Here's hoping tomorrow is an easier day for my sweetheart!


8 comments:

  1. That is the most perfect snack ever! Adorable! It does feel so strange to send our little ones out into the world... 'see you after school' (please big people in charge take precious care of my baby... please other little people be kind and wonderful... please please please!) It's hard stuff. I had my own little breakdown about snoopy going to first grade. (he starts tuesday) mine had more to do with the fact that he has Diabetes and I'm so nervous about sending him away from me for such a long stretch! He'll need insulin for lunch everyday and... I'm just all unsettled about it! I'll go during lunch to help for a while... I'll feel better after meeting with his teacher and the school nurse on monday. (I hope)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! I love making snacks (and soon, lunch) for her. It makes me feel like I'm sending a little bit of myself with her to school. :)

      I sooooo understand that feeling of nervousness about sending your little ones out into the world. I hope things go well for you and Snoopy next week! *Big hugs!* I can imagine that any kind of medical condition just adds an extra layer of anxiety to the first day/week of school. I'm sure everything is going to be great, especially since you're planning to meet with his teacher an the nurse.

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Michelle. Your daughter is going to be just fine. There are so many exciting things to do and things to see and learn. She is going to love it. Trust me-it is harder on the parent. Chin up and smile every day. Both of you will feel better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I know in my heart that she'll be okay, she just has to get past some of her anxieties and nervousness. By the end of next week, she'll probably be shooing me out the door! LOL

      Delete
  3. Can you make me some of those snacks too! Along with the the cute animal forks?
    I still keep saying my younger brother is at school when he is in college and will be starting his 2nd year soon! he has grown up so fast (in height that is) =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little animal picks are the best! I want to use them with all our meals. LOL

      My youngest brother is 8 years younger than me and I still think of him as a little tyke... even though he's graduated from college and is getting married this year. I know how you feel! :)

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness I am just now seeing this!! we just got back a couple days ago from vacation and I had a terrible internet connection there and couldn't navigate around very well....

    What big day!! Oh what a darling bento box! Oh the sweet sadness of it all! I'm glad you hung in there. I wish I could have been there to give you a giant huggy.

    My introvertedness and Andrew's did NOT pass on to Miss J -- the bigger the crowd, the more she likes it -- freaks me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a great vacation! School has been a rough transition. Miss C. has cried every day, though it's getting better by degrees. We'll see how things go today!

      Isn't it funny how our kids will inherit some of our personality traits and not others? And when you have more than one, you notice it even more acutely because each one is distinctly different. Miss C. is more reserved like my husband and I. Master W. is very outgoing and gregarious, like my brother. Two kids raised the same way, yet born very different people.

      Delete