Wednesday, August 15, 2012

PB & Strawberry Grahams

I must confess, I have a bit of a sweet tooth. Okay, okay, more than a bit of one. 

Most nights, I like to have a little something sweet after dinner. My kids enjoy this ritual too, so I don't mind using dessert as a way to reward them for trying new things at dinnertime.*

I've always got healthy eating on my mind, so I prefer to keep the portions small and the treats homemade. Oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies (both homemade) and the occasional small scoop of ice cream (I need to start making this myself!) are our usual after-dinner treats. Last night, though, I was fresh out of homemade goodies so I had to think fast!

After a quick mental inventory check of my pantry and fridge, I whipped up these cute little peanut butter and strawberry grahams for my kiddos. They gobbled them up! Master W. doesn't like whipped cream (I know, I know... what kid doesn't like whipped cream???), so I made his without. 

They're easy to put together and relatively healthy compared to most desserts, since I used an unsweetened natural peanut butter (I recommend Trader Joe's brand if you haven't tried it yet). All you need to do is layer graham crackers, peanut butter, sliced strawberries, a tiny dollop of whipped cream and – if you have them on hand, which I did – sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on top.

This would be a great cooking activity to do with your little ones if you don't mind a little mess at your table. Let me know if you try them – I'd love to hear how your kids enjoy them!

You can find this post linked up at:

* I know not everyone agrees with this philosophy when it comes to feeding children, but I've found it works well for my family. If you've ever had a child who is extremely strong willed and picky, you'll know how challenging meal time can be. It's just one of many things we do to encourage our little ones – especially our picky eater – to be open to new foods.

4 comments:

  1. I've been volunteering on a healthy eating session with children. They really enjoyed being able to make the food themselves and try out new things they weren't allowed/didn't have at home. When you get children involved with cooking they like the food more =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! It's a great way to get them to try new things (and we do it as often as possible at our house). Although, I've found that with my picky one that trick sometimes doesn't work! LOL

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious! And healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids looooved them and it felt good to let them have a treat without it being too bad for them.

      Delete