Monday, September 10, 2012

Cozy Up: 'Blueberries for Sal'

Finding a vintage children's book in the stacks of the children's section of the library always makes me feel as though I've found a piece of buried treasure. Sure, I like modern children's books. But I love vintage children's literature.

Last week's fab find was 'Blueberries for Sal', written by Robert McCloskey. The story opens with Sal and her mama (don't you just love her mama's outfit and hair?!) going to Blueberry Hill to pick blueberries to can for the winter.

Sal follows her mama, eating berries along the way, until she becomes too tired to follow anymore. So she sits in a berry patch  for a while to enjoy some blueberries.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the hill, a baby bear and his mama are eating berries to fatten themselves up for winter. Baby bear soon becomes to tired to hustle along behind mama bear, so he sits down in a berry patch to eat his fill.

Soon, both Sal and the baby bear decide it's time to find their mamas. You can imagine what happens next...

Miss C. was on the edge of her seat the first time we read it, wondering what was going to happen when each mama discovered that she was being followed by someone other than her own little one. And she couldn't wait to read it again and again! Even Master W., who often won't sit still for any book that doesn't contain a train or truck, was enthralled by this story.

You'll have to pick up a copy to find out what happens to the mamas and their babies. The ending is a sweet one!

16 comments:

  1. I remember this book!! It's a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey! I'm so glad to hear that someone else knows this book. It's a new one to me. :) I agree with you; it's a really great book!

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to get my hands on this book for a while! My library doesn't have it... isn't that strange? I'll have to put it on my sister's list of books to round up for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must get this one! I hope your sister finds a copy for you soon!! :)

      Delete
    2. OH- and I was meaning to say I LOVE the quilt in the back ground of the pix :) the perfect backdrop for that book!

      Delete
    3. I so wish I could take credit for it! It's an Ikea cheater quilt... no actual piecing involved (I didn't know it when I bought it – should have looked closer). But I loooove the colors and prints. So pretty and not too feminine for my hubby's tastes. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh now I want to know what happens! I wonder if its in the UK....=D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! You should check your library. Otherwise, you can find it places online (Etsy, eBay, Amazon, etc.). I hope you find a copy! :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post. It's been really fun to rediscover books with I. We just bought the board version of The Velveteen Rabbit today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good ones out there. I still love copy of The Velveteen Rabbit you gave Miss C. all those years ago. If you're ever looking for some good children's books, you should check out Julia's Bookbag (http://www.juliasbookbag.com) and Pen Pals & Picture Books (http://www.penpalsandpicturebooks.com). Melissa of Julia's Bookbag, and Robyn and Whitney of Pen Pals & Picture Books find all the best children's books. And all three are really fun and sweet people, too. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh this book.....makes me feel all squishy inside! Like I just ate a bowl of perfect oatmeal!! YOUR QUILT. Amazing! Andrew's cousin quilts (and does everything else sewing related) just made a Christmas quilt and it is divine -- you crafty people...I sigh over your cleverness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read it?? I looove this book.

      I so wish I could take credit for that quilt. The only input I had on it was when I threw it into my cart at Ikea. Hahaha! It's not even a real pieced quilt – the prints are all one big piece of fabric. But I do so love the colors and prints. They make me so happy!

      Delete
  6. Loved this book as a kid. I just realized this week that my little girl hasn't yet heard some classics. We just read Goldilocks tonight. As well as three billy goats gruff. She loves classics more than anything modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The classics really are the best! I've been looking for a good copy of Three Billy Goats Gruff - so far all I've found at our library is a version with very modern illustrations that I don't think would resonate with my kids. Any suggestions?

      Delete
  7. We have this book and do love it. So simple that plunk, plink sound. I'm also a fan of the Elsa Beskow old books like Pelle's New Suit. If you haven't read them yet, you're in for a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation, Rachel! I'm off to look them up on Amazon right now! :)

      Delete