Thursday, September 6, 2012

Gooey Granola Bars

I love packing Miss C.'s lunch every day.

Yes, I'm one of those mamas. Go ahead and laugh, I don't mind!

I may miss my sweetie every day, but I've been consoling myself by playing with the bento cuteness I've been slowly stockpiling for the last year. Cute little animal food picks. Pink bento boxes. Tiny flower cookie cutters. And those cute little silicone muffin cups shaped like animals – they slay me! Where was all this stuff when I was harboring a secret hatred for making lunches when I was a kid?

And when she asks me (every day), "Mommy, are you going to miss me?" I give her a big squeezie hug, choke back my mama tears and whisper in her ear, "Of course I will, sweetheart! Remember, when lunchtime rolls around at school today that I've poured all my love into your lunch box."

I'm not exaggerating when I say that, either. I love packing up her lunch each night, and I find myself thinking of things I can do to make her smile when my hungry girl opens up her snack or lunch.

Tomorrow is a minimum day, so I only need to pack Miss C. a snack. I've been meaning to whip up a batch of Miss C.'s favorite Gooey Granola Bars for a good long while now, and with school starting it seems I have the perfect reason to dust off (and share!) this easy recipe.

Gooey Granola Bars

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (I used the natural, unsweetened kind)
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Place your oats on a cookie sheet and toast for 5-10 minutes in your preheated oven. I don't like mine too toasty, so I only baked them for about 5 minutes.

While the oats are toasting, heat the peanut butter and honey in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often. Remove from heat when the mixture is well mixed and thin enough for easy pouring and stirring.

Combine oats, raisins and warm peanut butter mixture in a large bowl. Pour the gooey goodness into a parchment paper lined 13x9 baking dish, pressing down to desired thickness. 

Cool slightly before devouring cutting into squares.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can add all sorts of goodies to the mix to make your own little sweeties happy. And if you don't want them to be so gooey (or a little less sweet), simply cut down on the honey.

Master W. and I had fun making these granola bars together while his Sissy was at school, though I suspect his favorite part was licking the spoon afterward. I can't wait to tuck one of these little squares next to the fruit and cheese in her snack box tonight!


8 comments:

  1. Good Morning Michelle. Hope you are feeling well today.
    I love granola bars and so does my grandson. So this is something I would love to make for him. I have a question. Do you use the regular kind of oats or do you use the instant? Or does it matter?Thanks for sharing.
    I think it is wonderful that you like to make your childs lunch or snacks.It just shows what a great Mother you are.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! We used the regular rolled oats - I guess they're also called Old Fashioned Oats. I'm not sure how instant oats would turn out - they're finer in texture, right? Perhaps that would change how the recipe turns out. Let me know if you try it!

      And thank you for your sweet words regarding my lunch making fun. I hope my enthusiasm for it never diminishes!

      Delete
  2. I have never made my own granola bars but have been thinking about it for a while now! I will try it THIS week :) thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how your kids like it and if you decide to change it up at all. :) My kids (and even my husband) gobble them up, so a batch never lasts more than a few days. One of the things I like about them is that they're packed with lots of natural energy sources, so it seems like a good choice for a healthier treat for school lunches.

      Delete
  3. Such a great little treat! I love making flapjacks every now and then =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummy! Yummy! If you like your flapjacks/pancakes a little thicker than most recipes, you might like this one: http://realmomkitchen.com/1425/fluffy-buttermilk-pancakes/. It's my go-to pancake recipe these days. They turn out so thick and fluffy!

      Delete
  4. Awesome, I'm going to try making these! Since I. can't have them yet, I'm willing to bet I have a husband who will eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he loves them as much as mine does! :) Miss I. will probably love them when she's a wee bit older. They were a staple with Miss C. when she was a toddler - I used to pack them for trips to the park.

      Delete