Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A zippy finish.

All of the Kindergartners at Miss C.'s Catholic school are paired up with 6th graders at the beginning of the year. The big kid buddies sit with their Kindergarten buddies at mass on Friday mornings and help them out at assemblies and other programs at school.

Miss C. is blessed to have a wonderful buddy this year: Miss M. When the school year first started and Miss C. was having a tough time adjusting, Miss M. would come by the classroom every Friday morning before mass with a tiny gift or treat for her. She says "hi" to her whenever they pass in the hallway. And I've even spotted them holding hands on the way to mass on Friday mornings.

I know that my little girl has a great love for her buddy, so I thought it might be nice for her to give Miss M. a special gift before school lets out for Christmas break. A zippy pouch seemed like an age-appropriate gift. I don't know too many sixth grade girls, but I figured most girls and women love zippy pouches so I can't really go wrong, right?

With that in mind, I raided my stash and came up with a large scrap of Heather Ross Kelp Garden print in a light pink, some tiny scraps of a coordinating striped print, and a pretty yellow for the lining. A quick search of my Pin boards yielded the perfect zip pouch tutorial from Make It Perfect. I hopped on over to JoAnn's the next morning to pick up a bright red zipper and I was ready to go.

The zip pouch came together in a snap. I spent most of a nap time and part of an evening cutting, quilting and sewing it up (I also added a little strap on one side). And I just love how it turned out – especially those zipper tabs.  I've never tried them before and I'm hooked! I don't know that I'd ever make a zip pouch again without them, they really give it a finished look.

And of course, this is just one more thing I can cross off of my adjusted 100 Day Hustle list. Woot!

You can find this post linked up at:

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet school tradition. I love it when schools realize that mixing ages is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The little ones look up to the big kids and the big kids get to take on a special role in the school. It really did help my daughter adjust to the newness of it all, and gave her an instant friend.

      Delete
  2. That turned out so cute! Well done Michelle. Is there anything left on your to do list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn! :) I'm almost finished with everything on my list! Yesterday, I finished up the angel costume for Miss C.'s school Christmas pageant. The only big thing left is the baby's stocking. I have an idea of what I'd like to do to decorate it, but I still need to figure it out a bit. That, and I won't be able to completely finish it until after the baby is born since I usually have the kids' names embroidered on the cuff.

      Delete
  3. Adorable! And nice of the school to have that program. It must be nice to know that your little one has someone to go to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb. You're absolutely right. It's really nice knowing she has a big "sister" to turn to during the day if she ever needs anything. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Such a nice gift! I'm sure her 6th-grade buddy will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous pouch!! How lovely to have such a nice sisterly friendship at school. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    p.s. do you know your word verification is on? It can make it tricky to leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! And I had no idea my word verification was on! I definitely need to turn that off... I hate using it on other blogs... thanks for letting me know! :)

      Delete
  6. here from TGIFF - nice finish and sweet gift!

    ReplyDelete