Friday, October 26, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival

It's Blogger's Quilt Festival time again over at Amy's Creative Side. I knew immediately when I designed my brother's wedding quilt that I would enter it into the Fall 2012 festival. Creating this quilt really stretched my skills, and I'm incredibly proud of how it turned out.

So, on to the details for my entry...

The story: This quilt was truly a labor of love for my brother and sister-in-law. They've been together as long as my husband and I (almost 12 years), but only got engaged last year. I love them both so much and knew immediately that I wanted to make a wedding quilt for them.

Now, they both have very specific, modern taste (with a hint of retro style for fun!) so I knew I couldn't simply whip up a quilt without consulting them first. I wanted to make something that they'd use and really love. After a few back and forth emails, with me sending ideas and links to fabric shops, my sister-in-law decided on a beautiful quilt concept and even selected specific fabrics. At the time I knew nothing about whole cloth quilts, so I thought of it as a kind of un-quilt quilt. After a little research, I discovered the simple beauty of whole cloth quilting and was hooked.
Ultimately, I think her dream quilt is brilliant – and perfectly suited to the two of them. I used my Janome's walking foot to quilt the top and hand-finished the binding. If you look closely, you'll see that the lines intersect and twist and turn throughout the quilt. My own personal style is far from modern, but I'm in love with the geometric design of the quilting. 
I finished the quilt about a week before their wedding, and was so happy to see the delight on their faces when they finally laid eyes on it. And I love it even more because they love it.
Size: 60 x 70"
Special quilt techniques: The quilting started with a basic grid in a contrasting color (later removed), then all of the geometric lines were filled in using my walking foot.
Quilted by: Me.
Best Category: Two-color Quilt, Lap Quilt or even Home Machine Quilted Quilt

40 comments:

  1. The quilt is really nice .. never made a whole cloth quilt ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should try it - definitely a fun, learning experience for me! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! I don't know that I've seen a whole cloth quilt before with such a fun, modern print. What a great take on tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! After spending some time checking out other whole cloth quilts during my planning process, I really have a deep appreciation for the amazing talent that goes into the detail whole cloth quilters put into their quilts. Mine pales in comparison! LOL

      Delete
  3. The colours are fresh and modern and your quilting is fab. Well done. It's nice to know that your hard work is going to someone who will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shontelle! The credit for the fabric and color choices goes to my brother and sister-in-law. They have impeccable taste! :) And I agree with you, it feels good knowing that they'll love it and use it.

      Delete
  4. now this is an idea i would do...using modern prints for a whole cloth quilt...lucky couple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. that is a great quilt - show that less is more sometimes. Very fresh and modern and a great gift

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Moira! You're right about how simplicity can really make a quilt stand out sometimes. I enjoy piecing quilts, but this was a nice change for me.

      Delete
  6. This quilt is so cool. I love the simplicity of it. And the quilting makes it. Wow. I bet they use it every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! I'm hoping that they get a lot of good use out of it this winter. When I first approached them with the idea of a quilt, I thought it would be nice for them to have something to snuggle under while watching movies or TV at night. :)

      Delete
  7. What a great idea. I've thought about trying a whole cloth, but it intimidates me. Congrats and lovely colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, you really should give it a try. A simple quilting design like this one is a great place to start with your first whole cloth quilt. You will really love the finished result!

      Delete
  8. So simple. So beautiful. And I LOVE the way you quilted this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took a lot of hours to quilt, but I felt so proud of myself when it all came together. :)

      Delete
  9. Its simplicity is so beautiful! I love the quilting! Intersecting and twisting lines are perfect for the merging of two lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful sentiment, Wendi. You are so right about the symbolism of the intersecting lines. I'm so glad you left your comment! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I love it! And I love that you have a white couch too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie! I love our couch - it's a hand-me-down from my hubby's parents and I must say it's the most comfortable couch I've ever sat in (I swear it puts you to sleep in minutes if you're not careful). And the best part? It's slip covered!!! I recently caught my little guy drawing on it with a crayon and pencil... I think my freak-out would have been ten times worse if I didn't have the option to wash the covers. LOL

      Delete
  11. love this! such a great modern quilt! The quilting is fantastic, I don't think I have the patience. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becky! It did take some patience, but I'm telling you it's definitely worth doing if you ever feel like trying it. The end result is very satisfying.

      Delete
  12. I love this. Can only imagine how yummy it will be when it is washed. The quilting is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even better after I gave it the first wash! I loved how crinkly it came out, and it's super-soft too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful ! I have making a whole cloth quilt on my to do list. I love the simplicity. I'm #117 in the festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I highly recommend whole cloth quits, they have their own special beauty. Thanks for stopping by - I'm off to check out your quilt! :)

      Delete
  14. Awesome Michelle! Very cool that you've entered in into a festival! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the simplicity of whole cloth quilts, and how the quilting really shows up. :) The green fabric is great! Wow, you did a really great job with it! Gorgeous!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their simplicity too. And I love that you can really use that simplicity to showcase both intricate quilting and simple quilting (like mine). Thanks for your sweet compliment!

      Delete
  16. Love the fabrics in your wholecloth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Danielle! My sister-in-law and brother hand picked the fabrics for their quilt. I agree with you - these fabrics are lovely... they have great taste! :)

      Delete
  17. Oh just perfect and so modern. I was just thinking this week on making something similar and bribing my MIL to quilt it on her long arm for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should give it a try! I promise, you'll love it. :)

      Delete
  18. Love this!!! What a great wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rene! And thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  19. Stunning! I love your quilt! :) Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen! And thanks for stopping by for a visit!

      Delete