Friday, October 12, 2012

Check another one off the list!

Today I was able to check another project off of my 100 Day Hustle list: a Christmas gift for Miss C.'s teacher. Woo hoo!
After some consideration (and a consultation with my mom, who is a retired teacher) and waffling over several ideas, I decided to go with a covered journal using the fab tutorial created by Rachel of Stitched in Color. If you haven't tried it yet, you really must! Not only is it easy to make, but it's very cost effective if you raid your stash. Don't tell, but I only spent about $3 on supplies (a composition notebook and a bit of bleached muslin for the lining)!
The fabrics used are as follows:
  • Chevron blocks – I cut into a charm pack of Vintage Modern by Bonnie & Camille that I had won over at the awesome blog, Fish Creek Studio.
  • Gray strips above and below the blocks – Another giveaway win, this time part of a custom jelly roll by the super sweet ladies over at Clover & Violet.
  • Dots along the top and bottom – Scraps of Denyse Schmidt fabric for JoAnn's left over from another project. I love, love, love this print and will be sad when the last few scraps are gone!
  • Lining – bleached muslin from JoAnn's.
I hope she loves it as much as I do. The whole thing came together in a few nights and nap times, and much of the time spent was me trying to figure out how to arrange all of those half square triangles I had created (my first try with HSTs!) from the Vintage Modern charms. The only thing I did to stray from the pattern was serge all of the raw edges, otherwise I followed it exactly. Rachel did a brilliant job!
You can find this project linked up at:


32 comments:

  1. It's super pretty! I'm glad to hear it's a teacher-approved gift. Your zigzag is perfectly situated too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really does seem like the perfect gift for a teacher. I'm glad I asked my mom about it, though. I know I would have been wondering and second guessing my choice if I hadn't (I'm a worrier like that).

      Delete
  2. This is a fabulous notebook! I have a whole stqack of composition books I'm planning to make covers for with that same tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! You're going to love making them. Rachel's tutorial is very well written and they're so easy to make. Are you making them as Christmas gifts?

      Delete
  3. Looks wonderful! The teacher will love it for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristan! I hope she does too. :)

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful Michelle! I love it SO SO SO much! I totally want to try one out myself now! I can't believe it took me so long to come see- it's been a crazy few days... I'll email :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! You really should make one (or two, or three, or four... LOL) of these little things. I really think I'll be turning to this pattern a lot over time. It's such a great gift idea. :)

      Delete
  5. It's so pretty! I was actually just thinking of end of year gifts for my son's teachers this afternoon. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I highly recommend this pattern. Rachel did a fantastic job with it, and I'm hoping it will go over well with Miss C.'s teacher. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh what a beautiful idea!! I'm sure it will be well-loved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful - I am sure the teacher will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I'm really hoping she does. :)

      Delete
  8. What a pretty journal cover. I love Vintage Modern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marit! It's funny, I loved nearly every Vintage Modern print... except that houndstooth... but then I forced myself to try it out and I think it's grown on me! :)

      Delete
  9. Absolutely perfect teacher's gift (my Mum was one too!). She will treasure it, no doubt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Teachers really do deserve special gifts, don't they? :)

      Delete
  10. love book covers and this is a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! Coming from a family of teachers, I think this will be very much appreciated. :) Thanks for linking up to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenelle! I'm glad you think she'll like it! :)

      Delete
  12. Great idea for a Christmas gift - clever you for using up your winning fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love winning fabric, but sometimes I'm just way to tempted to hoard it for the "perfect" project... and those perfect projects seem to be so elusive, don't they? ;) I had fun cutting into them to make something pretty. Thanks for stopping by to comment! :)

      Delete