Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ka-chow! Finding my motivation.

There's nothing like entering the last few weeks of pregnancy... and finding out that I'm already dilating... to discover a sudden urge to check a few things off my project list.

This week I've been spending most evenings on Master W.'s Halloween costume. He wants to be Lightning McQueen and being the crazy pregnant mommy that I am, I said to myself, "I can make that!" Fortunately, this project has been a relatively easy one thus far.

Here's how it's been coming together:

  • Find the perfect car-sized cardboard box. This wasn't too difficult considering we moved this summer... and, well... still haven't unpacked all of our framed photos. Emptying it did give me an excuse to hang a few more pictures on the wall - bonus!
  • Cut holes out of said box to fit around the Master's waist. I eyeballed the placement, but did some simple measurements to ensure that the bottom and top holes lined up.
  • Cover with batting and red fabric. I didn't originally plan to cover it with the batting but you could see the writing on the box through the fabric and my crazy mind wouldn't let me take the shortcut. I wrapped it up like a present, cut the fabric out of the top hole and tacked it all down with staples and Tacky Glue.
  • Glue on felt details. This was the fun part, and because I'm tired (and too lazy to research, print out and trace everything) I did it all free-hand. I've come to the conclusion that it's okay to do a stylized version of a character when making costumes. Master W. doesn't care about all the details, he just wants it to look like "Whitening Na-Queen". 
  • Add shoulder straps. This is the last detail, and one that my mom is going to help me with tomorrow when she comes over. 
A few friends have asked if I'm going to match his clothes to the costume, but I think jeans and a long-sleeved shirt will be okay (he may be getting some Cars clothes and boots for his birthday this weekend, so I will incorporate those items if they work out). I spent my tiny costume budget on the fabric and felt, so this is it! Most people will just be looking at his car anyway, right?

I'll be sure to get more photos on the big day, but I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek!

And in case you're curious, here's now my project list from The 100 Day Hustle is shaping up:
  1. Finish my brother's wedding quilt Done!
  2. Halloween costumes for the kids (Peter Pan for Miss C. and maybe Lightning McQueen for Master W.) Almost finished! More on Miss C.'s costume later.
  3. Christmas stocking for the baby - in progress
  4. Christmas gift for Miss C.'s teacher Done!
  5. Finish the remaining green blocks for my postage stamp quilt Done!
  6. Angel costume for Miss C.'s school Christmas pageant - in progress
  7. Gift for Miss C.'s sixth grade buddy - still brainstorming (maybe a zip pouch?)
And yes, I'm completely nuts because the last two items on my list weren't there originally. I just can't stop myself!

You can find this post linked up at:

4 comments:

  1. Seriously awesome costume! I bet your little man just adores it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's very excited about it. I can't wait to finish the straps so I can get a few shots with him in it! :)

      Delete
  2. Michelle! That is incredible! I can't wait to see pictures of your kids all dressed up!!! We've had costume drama around here. The octopus idea is out the window (Dax is afraid the other kids would think it's weird... makes me super sad that he's at the age where he's concerned with his peers reactions.) Now he's going to be a pirate (easy- since we already have stuff to throw that costume together). So I'm not really making anything for Halloween this year... just putting things together- but the kids are all happy. :)

    (you did that all freehand?!?! amazing!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robyn!

      Costume drama is the worst! I was so excited to see Dax's octopus costume! It's seems that kids are feeling the pressure to fit it earlier and earlier these days. I bet he'll make a cool pirate, though!

      And yes, I did it freehand... but I looked at his die-cast car, the Blu-Ray box for the movie and a few pictures online to get a feel for how everything should look. It's been so much fun to watch it come together bit by bit each night. :) I'm glad you like it!

      Delete