Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Postage stamp blocks finished!

I must be in nesting mode because I've had a sudden burst of third trimester energy and have managed to check a few things off of my 100 Day Hustle list. Woot!

Last week's big finish was my brother's wedding quilt and I'm so happy to report that I've finally finished the last of my green postage stamp blocks (there were 49 in total!). I had about 30 left to sew, and was able to crank them out in small batches during nap time and after bedtime this past week.

Now that they're finished I'm trying to decide on whether to make one huge bed quilt or two lap quilts. At this moment I'm leaning toward two lap quilts, mainly because I can quilt them on my own machine and won't have to pay for long arm services.

As to the design, I really want to showcase the scrappy blocks so the plan is to alternate each block with blocks of white, and somehow create some order with all the different colors (red, orange, green, blue, aqua, yellow, pink and coral).

10 comments:

  1. My goodness - what an impressive stack of blocks!! Love the idea of alternating them with white blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think my total is now up to 264 blocks when you add up all the different colors. It should be fun to organize and put together! :)

      Delete
  2. AH! I just can't wait to see the finished quilt! I have loved seeing all of your stacks and progress on this project. Hooray for a sudden burst of third trimester energy. (I need one of those, he he he)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think it's going to be gorgeous with all those pretty colors together. :) It did feel good to finally have some energy again after feeling so wiped out these last few weeks.

      Delete
  3. Woot woot!! LOVE those blocks so so much - green is my absolute favorite! I love giant quilts but two lap quilts would be great too - twins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsey! :) We'll see what they're destined to become after I start laying them out. I want my hubby to love any quilt we put on our bed, too, so he's going to have a major say in whether or not this turns into a big one. That, and I have a recipient in mind for one of the smaller quilts if that's the route I choose to go. We'll see!

      Delete
  4. Wooo congratulations on getting them all done!! Two quilts is definitely a good plan. I hope the pattern planning goes just as well =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's great! The stack is so impressive too. If you really wanted a bed quilt, you could quilt-as-you-go, piecing and quilting one row at a time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I thought about stacking all of the different colored blocks together for a big photo finish but I didn't think they'd stand up. There are just too many! LOL

      It's funny that you should mention QAYG because I read your comment this morning and thought, "Hmmm... I need to look this up before I respond." (I had no idea how that method works.) Then I saw your blog post and some pins popped up in my Pinterest feed. There must be something in the air because everyone is talking about QAYG right now! LOL

      After reading a bit more about it, I love the idea of doing that for a big quilt. If we decide to go big, I think it will be the route I take. Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

      Delete