Monday, November 5, 2012

Blessings.

This past week I've spent a lot of time reflecting on blessings. I have so many. Too many to count, really. And I'm so grateful to all that God has provided for me: a wonderful husband, beautiful children, good health, a home to live in and plenty of food to eat... and so much more.

I have a bloggy friend whom I've never met who also has many blessings. God has blessed her with deep faith, a beautiful family, the ability to home school her kids, a wonderful husband and an incredible network of people who love and support her. 

But she and her family are also facing some challenges right now. They've been unable to sell their home. Her husband has had trouble finding work after they sold their business so their finances are tight. And she had surgery today to fix a not-so-tiny hole in her heart. 

After reading some of her recent posts – and one in particular where she let it slip that her children's Christmas is going to be a small one this year – I felt a little whisper in my heart. Maybe I could share one of my blessings with this wonderful person. True, our only correspondence has been through the comments section of her blog... but does that matter?

No.

I thought about something small I could make for each of her kids using my stash, since our budget is tight and the baby is due to arrive any time now. And then I remembered that they do a lot of journaling as part of their home school curriculum... a covered journal for each of her sweeties seemed perfect.

I floated the idea to her in a comment on one of her posts and she was so sweet in her response. She said she would love them and that she'd contact me soon. Well, a few days passed and my pregnancy-induced insanity must have gone into overdrive because by this Friday night I had four patchwork journal covers (using Rachel's awesome tutorial) finished and ready to go.

I emailed her this weekend for her address and she was so sweet, admitting that she'd been going back and forth in her mind about contacting me because she'd rather be the giver than the receiver. This was my response:
"I’m glad that I made them then! :) 
I’m sure you’ll have many opportunities in the years to come to be on the giving end of things. For now, it’s okay to be on the receiving end of things. There is Grace and goodness in being able to say “yes” when you need help the most. God provides us with many blessings throughout our lives. Right now, you are blessed with many people who want to help you and I am blessed with the ability to help. Sometime soon, I know, you’ll be back to fighting form and God will once again bless you with the ability to help someone else."
I'm not sharing this story today because I want any kind of recognition. I'm sharing it because I hope to inspire perhaps just one other person to share their blessings in an act of friendship. There are always people we know personally, or through the blogs we read, or even complete strangers who might need a little help this Thanksgiving, Christmas or any time of year.

I am a Catholic. And that voice I heard whispering to me? I'm certain it was God answering my prayers and questions and reflections. I'm equally certain that no matter what your belief system may be, we all have blessings and gifts that we can use to help someone else in the smallest of ways. If each of us helped just one other person or family this holiday season, think of the good we could do together.

You can find this post linked up at:

14 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful inspiration. Thanks for the post and the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank-you for finding a way to share this story. I know it can be so awkward for me to share about my faith on my blog and/or the reasons I do some things. I'm encouraged by your simple example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel. I've been feeling more compelled lately to share little bits of my faith in my blog, partly as a way to share more of my authentic self and partly as a way to perhaps inspire others. This was a really tough post to start, but once I started writing it, my thoughts seemed to flow more easily. I would love to read more about your faith in your blog if you ever feel comfortable sharing it. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully done Michelle, those kids are going to love their new journals- great post! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! Sometimes these kinds of things are so hard to write about, but I felt really good afterward. I really hope they love them!

      Delete
  4. oooooh these are gorgeous Michelle!! How much lovelier the world would be if we are all so helpful to one another, regardless of one's belief system....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly believe it takes just one act, every once in a while from each of us to make a difference. :) Glad you like how they turned out! xoxo

      Delete
  5. I love these notebooks, and what a kind and thoughtful gift you are giving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanette! And thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  6. The first time I read this through I didn't think I could comment. My tears had blurred the screen. But I can do it now. The journals are gorgeous, and I can't tell you how much they mean to me.

    This:

    "I'm certain it was God answering my prayers and questions and reflections. I'm equally certain that no matter what your belief system may be, we all have blessings and gifts that we can use to help someone else in the smallest of ways."

    So perfect. Truly. I love, love, love it when we can blur the often divisive lines between different religions and just focus on our love for God and our desires to be more like Christ.

    Thank you for your example to me, and your persistence in giving even when I resisted.

    I love that I've gotten to know you online, and know that I'm reading even though I'm a craptastic commenter :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I don't know why I didn't see your comment until now... it somehow didn't make it into my email or perhaps in my baby fog (Little Miss C. was born just days before your comment posted) I just missed it. I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner!

      My heart is so full reading your comment. You are such an amazing woman - thank you so much for opening your life up to all of us readers. I, too, am glad we've gotten to know each other and I'm so happy that you loved the journals!

      Many hugs, love and prayers,

      Michelle

      Delete