Wednesday, November 14, 2012

No baby yet, but two unexpected arrivals

My due date came and went yesterday without the arrival of our much anticipated little one. Miss C. and Master W. were both late babies, so I'm not at all surprised that I'm still at home running around in a sort of crazed nesting mode. I've been cleaning the house like crazy, doing laundry, changing sheets and even managed to sew up a quilt top in the last few days.

Waiting for baby is not torturous for me (I can't say the same for my sweet hubby, though. The wait is killing him!). I am content to wait until the baby is ready. And even though my due date didn't bring me my baby, I did unexpectedly receive wonderful gifts from two very dear friends of mine.

The first gift was a surprise package in my mailbox. My dear friend, Robyn, whom I met through her blog sent me the most wonderful children's book. 'One Special Day' is a book about a little boy named Spencer who is a wild and carefree kind of kid. The author and illustrator do a masterful job describing Spencer: he is loud, he is wild, he is funny. And one day, something changes and he is something new: he is a big brother... and he is gentle.

Oh, how I cried when I read this book. I cried because little Spencer reminds me so much of Master W. I cried because my two sweeties are about to meet their new baby brother or sister and our whole world is about to change for the better once again. And I cried because I was overwhelmed by the perfection of this book, and the fact that it was so carefully selected just for me by my very thoughtful and sweet friend.

The second gift came later in the evening when my best friend's husband dropped by (we live about three hours apart and he was in town unexpectedly to visit his father who is ill, so he couldn't stay long to visit) with a beautiful hospital gown and matching pillowcase that my wonderful best girlfriend had sewn for me this week.

I was so touched yet again by the thoughtfulness of this gift. My sweet friend, who is dealing with many friends and family members who are seriously ill right now, took time to make something to make my impending hospital stay more comfortable. She is selfless and thoughtful to the core; I love her dearly and cherish our nearly 25-year-old friendship.

Of course, what post would be complete without a little sewing talk, right? If you look closely at the first photo you'll catch a glimpse of the quilt top I finished today. I finally decided what to do with all of those postage stamp blocks I've been sewing up this past year. As it turns out, there were exactly enough blocks for two lap-sized quilts (60x72").

I'll be working on both quilts as time permits after the baby comes. This first top came together in just a few days and is for my hubby's best friend and his two little girls (ages 2 and 4.5), who are going through a tough time right now. I thought perhaps they – and the girls in particular – could use something cozy for reading, movies or just spending time together. The second top will be for my own family and I can't wait to cozy up underneath it after it's finished.

I'm sure it's going to take me a long time to get around to finishing them, but I've made a good head start!


6 comments:

  1. I had no idea it was thisclose to baby time!!! Oh I am SO excited!! Can't wait to find out about it all!! Happy Baby Coming Soon Time! (that's the only thing I could think of ;) So excited for you!!!

    xoxoxoxoxoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are soooo close! The excitement is palpable here... Master W. is completely nuts right now (I don't think he actually understands what is happening, but he knows a big change is coming) and Miss C. wakes up every morning looking to see if her grandparents are here and I'm at the hospital. xoxo

      Delete
  2. She made you a hospital gown? That is amazing! I've never thought of bringing your own hospital gown. I'm glad your due date was full of good surprises regardless of baby staying put. Also... it's funny how husbands can get even more anxious for babys arrival. That's how Trapper gets too. :) ... and the quilt! It's going to be wonderful!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she amazing?! I never would have thought of it either. I know I'm going to appreciate having something personal and pretty to wear during recovery. It is funny about our hubbies – I swear the stress of waiting and being at work away from me is so hard on him right now! I'm glad you love the quilt!!

      Delete
  3. I hope baby has come by now, but I can't believe the cuteness of that sweet book!! And a special hospital gown??? You are one lucky lady to receive such sweet goodies right before baby comes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's here! She arrived on Friday... I just posted our wild birth story. :)

      I do feel so lucky to have such wonderful friends. I loved wearing something so special in the hospital and my children love the book. It's something we read nearly every night right now.

      Delete