Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Lovely Year of Finishes: January Goal

What do you get when you mix together a new baby, Christmas, three sick kids, plus lots of baby vomit (we're talking veritable geysers of milk)?

You get no time for sewing or blogging.

I have been able to snatch a few moments here and there at the sewing machine, but don't have a single recent finish to share. I am, however, currently working on the second postage stamp quilt top. This one is going to stay here and will likely get lots of use at story time and on movie night. It's is the very first quilt I've made just for me and I can't wait to finish it.

In a perfect world, I'd have time every day to work on it. Of course, I don't live in a perfect world... all of those little chores that I no longer seem to have time for during the day now have to be done after the kids go to sleep. So, while I don't think I can finish the entire quilt this month I do think I can set a goal of finishing the top by the end of the month. Sounds reasonable, right?

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts and Melissa of Sew BitterSweet Designs are hosting A Lovely Year of Finishes. There are link-up parties each month, with the only requirement being that you pick one thing to finish for that month. I think I can make that happen, even with a baby in the house, as long as I keep my goals modest.

The backing and binding fabric (The Simple Life by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake Designs) arrived in my mailbox recently, thanks to an Etsy gift card given to me as a Christmas gift from my folks. (Thanks, Mom and Dad!) I purchased it on sale at uberstitch - a wonderful little fabric shop with great customer service. I adore the vintage-style print, and love that the colors can all be found in many of the postage stamp blocks. I think it will be the perfect way to finish off my quilt.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds perfect and with such things to keep up with this could be a great finish!

    Thanks for linking in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shanna! I'm hoping it's not too much. Thanks for hosting such a great project.

      Delete
  2. Michelle you are amazing! I think you get more done in a single day than I ever get done in a month. :) I love the beautiful print you got for backing and binding, it's wonderful! I'm so sorry you've had sick kids... that's no fun! Miss Kitten and Trapper were both hit by Strep last week... yuck. It's always something isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, I've been meaning to email you!! With the kids being sick, it's been hard to get to the computer lately but I promise to write soon now that everyone is on the mend again. I'm so sorry to hear that your family was hit with Strep - that's the worst!

      I'm glad you like that print as much as I do. I was doing a search for aqua fabrics on Etsy and fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. I can't wait to finish the top (it's about halfway finished right now) so I can put it all together. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Your energy continues to astound me. With 3 young children, one being a baby, the goal of most young moms is likely to make it to the end of the day intact. Bravo to you! It's so good to hear from you again. I had been wondering how you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, that is my goal each day! I'm pretty wiped out most nights. Take tonight, for example: I want to sew... need to sew to do something just for me... but my shoulders and back are aching from carrying the baby around all day along with my big three-year-old boy who also wants to be held all the time. So I sat on the couch and watched a little TV instead.

      The only reason why that top will get done this month is because the postage stamp blocks are already done and the top was already nearly halfway finished when the month began. :) Thank goodness!

      Delete