Monday, February 4, 2013

Filling time before school.

My kids are early risers. Most weekdays, they're up as soon as they hear their Daddy turn on the shower to get ready for work.

I love that they're up early during the week (of course, I wish they'd sleep in on the weekends!). It gives us plenty of time to get ready for school and they're left with a few extra minutes to play or do some sort of an activity. Lately, we've been kicking it old school with our read-along stories and cassettes. 

My mom had saved all of our See-Hear-Read books from my childhood and was so sweet to let me gift them to Miss C. on her third birthday. Most of those are the classic Disney stories like Lady and the Tramp, Winnie the Pooh (Master W.'s favorites) and Robin Hood, with a few Star Wars books as well.

This fall, my aunt scored a huge stack of them during her thrifting adventures and brought them down to Miss C. when visiting for my brother's wedding. She has really enjoyed reading all of her "new" stories, especially since they seem to be geared toward older children. 

Books on tape may seem old fashioned to today's kids, but they still have great play value. I love that they help my kids read independently, and they've even helped teach responsibility (taking care of the tapes, old books and player does take some effort and focus for younger kids). Plus, I think it's important to teach children that not all entertainment has to be on some sort of digital device.

Today's book was 'Owl at Home' by Arnold Lobel. There are several mini stories, broken up into chapters. The kids really enjoy this one, especially when Owl invites Winter in for a visit. Poor Owl ends up with a house full of snow! 

Miss C. runs the cassette player since Master W. isn't quite responsible enough to manage the cassettes on his own yet. I've noticed that while he may appear to be across the room playing with his cars or trains, he really is listening to the story because he usually drifts over to listen whenever she turns on a tape. Within a minute or so, he's perched on the chair next to her, reading along. It's just so darn cute.

How do your kids fill time before heading off to school each morning?

9 comments:

  1. My kids enjoy books on tape too, using tape players at grandma's house and tapes from my husband's childhood. It's nice to see older thing used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. It makes me sad to think about how many things like this have been thrown away in favor of new technology. I'm glad your kids are able to enjoy your husband's old tapes!

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see your kids using books and toys from your childhood. I have saved most of my daughters books and toys from her childhood as well.(No grandkids yet to use them!)Your kids are also seriously cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter is very lucky to have a mother who saved her things for future grandkids. And you are very wise to have done so – think of the gift you will have given them: a glimpse into their own mother's childhood.

      And thank you for your sweet comment about my sweeties. I think they're pretty cute too! :)

      Delete
  3. This is wonderful Michelle! And that picture is so stinking sweet! Your kids are just the sweetest. I'm afraid we don't even have a tape player in the house anymore... in fact we don't even have a CD player! It's crazy. I loved book tape sets when I was a kid too. This is just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we had to go out and buy one before we gave her the tapes because we didn't have on either! If you ever consider picking up some tapes and books at your local thrift store, you can always swing by Radio Shack for a tape player. I was shocked that they still sold them!

      We don't have a CD player anymore, either. I think all of our favorite music is on iTunes now. :)

      Delete
  4. SO CUTE!!!!!!!! what a darling picture!!!! lucky you with the books on tape! Julia just listened to the BFG on CD, narrated by Natasha Richardson, it was wonderful -- this was right on the heels of me reading it to her mind you. Natasha did a much better job!!!!

    my goal in life is to find the audio cd or cassette or something of Claire Bloom reading Beatrix Potter -- I had it and it is THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved the BFG growing up! I need to start reading those old favorites to Miss C. As to the cassette you're looking for, I googled it and it's not too tough to find a copy on cassette. Here's one place you can buy for a fairly reasonable price: http://www.audiobooksonline.com/1559947950.html.

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you darling! I have been waiting in vain trying to find it newly redone on CD but I think I need to just get the cassette if I ever want to have it in my home...:)

      Delete