Friday, April 19, 2013

A big girl messenger bag.

Miss C. has a friend at school whose older sister is scheduled to begin monthly medical treatments next week in a city that is quite a distance from where we live.

Miss E. is such a sweetheart, an amazing big sister and a wonderful role model for younger children. She always includes Miss C. and the other Kindergartners in her games during recess and after school, and I can tell she's going to grow up to be a wonderful young woman someday.

I've been thinking about Miss E. a lot lately and wanted to make something to help make her monthly trips to the doctor a little brighter. After talking to her mama, I came up with the idea of a messenger bag in her favorite colors. It's the perfect size for toting books, art supplies, snacks and travel games.
The bag was made entirely of scraps, with most of them coming from a lovely studio scrap pack I recently picked up from JAQS Fabrics. A few of the pretty prints you see on the flap came from a jelly roll I won from the super-sweet Jennie and Clara over on Clover and Violet. I ended up quilting the entire bag, including the lining, which adds some much-needed sturdiness. I never thought I'd love quilted bags, but this one made me change my tune!


On a very serious note, the terrible acts of terrorism in Boston earlier this week have left me shaken and saddened. How can I bring my children up in a world where seemingly ordinary people will commit such horrifying atrocities against hundreds of people they've never even met? 

My heart aches for the victims and their families. I think about them daily and offer up my prayers. And I keep on sewing. Not just because I enjoy it, which I do... immensely. But because it's an expression of love. And right now our country, our world could use a lot of love. This bag is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but it brought a smile to a little girl's face. And we could all use a few more smiles right now.






10 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful bag and the thoughts that come with it make it even more beautiful. I agree with you completely when you say that sewing is an expression of love. Wishing Miss E. the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for your sweet words. It was a pleasure to make for her and I was so happy to see that she liked it.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post, beautiful bag, and a wonderful gift. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! We had such a great visit with you all this past weekend! I have some great photos to send you.

      Delete
  3. This gave me a happy tear. Thank you for posting and creating!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I know I told you this already, but it was a pleasure to make this bag for your sweetie. I'm so glad she loves it! xoxo

      Delete