Thursday, April 25, 2013

Love.

I never thought about naming my quilts, but this one kind of named itself: Love.

Just one word, but so heavy with meaning. This quilt was truly a labor of love.

It all started with an over-stuffed mailer of scraps, generously sent to me by Jolene at Blue Elephant Stitches. In the next year, I sorted the scraps, cut them into tiny 1.5" squares, organized them by color, then patiently stitched them into small colorful blocks. Time passed, and all of those tiny blocks were stitched together into a top and finally quilted up in a beautiful spiral design. And now with the last hand stitches in place on the binding, it has found a home on my couch.

And I'm so in love with it. Any little flaws on the back have disappeared into the crinkles from the wash, and to me it's absolutely perfect.

Master W. turns it into Disneyland and drives his cars through quilty tunnels. We cuddle up underneath it at nap time each day. Little Miss C. looks so sweet as rolls onto her tummy and back again over the colorful squares. And everyone enjoys snuggling up underneath it for movie time.

We pour so much love into our quilts as we stitch them together, but the real love comes from years of playtime, snuggling and happy memories. I think this quilt is off to a great start.


13 comments:

  1. Wow, I love it too. Stunning finish, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! I has so much fun making it, now I'm enjoying being able to use it!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful journey this quilt has been! I love seeing Master W's hand driving his car over the blocks... really give perspective to the size of each of those tiny postage stamp squares... it's so beautiful! someday I'll make one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robyn! You really should make one someday. I guarantee, you'll feel an amazing sense of satisfaction when it's finally finished! :)

      Delete
  3. just so beautiful! Love those squares of tiny squares! How cute that your kids love it too and quilts should be loved and used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy! I do love all of those tiny little squares. There are some really neat fussy cuts in there!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely quilt. I adore the "crinkled" look as well. It doesn't matter if the quilting is not perfect! Your work is lovely and love the scrappy colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoy it. And you're right about not worrying about it not being perfect. It only took one washing for all of those imperfections to disappear into the quilt. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on this finish! You did so much with those scraps. If you haven't already, you should totally link Jolene to this post so she can see =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I can't believe it's finished after all this time. And you're right, I need to email Jolene. I'm going to do that right now! :)

      Delete
  6. This is amazing! Totally the kind of quilt I like, to begin with. And then the fact that it's made from all my little scraps...that's very special! I'm so happy that they were made into something so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jolene! I'm so glad you like it!!! Your scraps have found a very happy home in this quilt. :)

      Delete