Saturday, April 27, 2013

Scrap Attack Quilt Along: String Fever

String Fever seems to be going around, and I've got it bad!

Rachel at Stitched in Color is hosting another Scrap Attack Quilt Along, and this time the focus is on all those long strings hanging out in our scrap bins. Last year's quilt along was so much fun that I knew I'd have to join in again.
This time I'm making a baby quilt for a dear friend who is expecting a baby. My quilt design is completely inspired by Jolene's Scrappy Strip Quilt, which I've been wanting to make ever since she wrote about it last September. My blocks are slightly smaller (due to an error I made when trimming the first block – oops!) and incorporate a good mix of tiny, skinny and fatter strings. (Oh, and check out my helper's adorable chubby little arm!)

The color scheme is bright and cheerful, just like my friend. I pulled virtually ever scrap of red, blue, aqua, purple, yellow, orange and green that I had in my cupboard, knowing that my friend will love the bold use of color in this quilt.
There are no intentional block designs, just pretty scraps happily pieced together until they're the right size. Yes, yes, I know I just got through saying I can't stand improv piecing. But you know, I think I've realized that I'm okay with it on a quilt like this. Everything is still nice and straight-lined. Maybe it was all those solids and wonky piecing that I couldn't stand?

So far I have 12 of 16 blocks stitched up and ready to go. Finishing it is going to be fun!

10 comments:

  1. I love scrappy and I love all the bright colors. It's going to be gorgeous!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelli! My favorite quilts are always scrappy - there's something about all those bright colors and prints that make me feel so happy. :)

      Delete
  2. This is going to be fab! I'm ogling all the HR scraps I spot in there :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! I only have a few small bits of HR fabrics but I couldn't resist including them. They really are so fabulous! :)

      Delete
  3. Your blocks look beautiful! I love this idea and I'm with you on the neatness of the straight lines. I love wonky when other people do it but I like order in my sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see the beauty in those really modern quilts, but the more I quilt the more I realize that I have very strong traditionalist leanings. I'm so glad you like this one! :)

      Delete
  4. Michelle! This looks amazing!!! Why have I not been quilting lately??? You totally inspire me, yet I seem to be in a rut when it comes to sewing projects at the moment. This project looks just my style... I think it's going to be absolutely stunning! I LOVE LOVE LOVE scrappy quilts like this... I love the way they look, I love that they use up fabric that's just sitting around wanting to be used, and I love that you can make them without worry that colors or patterns aren't matching up. It's going to be amazing! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, you haven't been quilting lately because you're pregnant and likely exhausted! LOL You'll get back to it again after the baby comes. This has been such a relaxing project - no boundaries, just pretty colors and straight lines. And I'm with you - it's a lot of fun using up fabric that's been languishing in my cupboard. I'm so glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  5. So fun! I'm so glad you're playing along again. That baby hand is the very best thing ever, btw. I need one for my photos (and I'll take the rest too, of course. Let's not be morbid).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited to be stitching along again, too! I had so much fun last Ome and simply couldn't resist joining again. I love that you give us so much freedom in your QAL. I'm not much for following other people's patterns, so I really enjoy doing my own thing and seeing the fab quilts everyone else creates.

      I hope you get your own pudgy little assistant soon! Mine is such a sweetie. Babies are just the best! xoxo

      Delete