Sunday, May 19, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival

If you're here visiting from Amy's Creative Side, welcome!

I look forward to the Blogger's Quilt Festival every spring and fall, and I'm super excited for this spring's festival because I can finally enter my postage stamp quilt. Woot!

I'm absolutely in love with this quilt.

It all started with an enormous mailer full of beautiful scraps, sent to me from the wonderful Jolene of Blue Elephant Stitches:
I later added a bunch of my own scraps and started cutting lots of teeny, tiny squares (1.5 inches to be exact!). After all that cutting, I started assembling the blocks by color. Eventually, hundreds of blocks later, it ballooned into this gorgeous stack (and the photo below doesn't even include the green blocks!):
And then – nearly a year and a half after that mailer full of scraps first arrived at my doorstep – I finally put it all together and made my wonderful, snuggly, all-time-favorite Love Quilt. I'm just so proud of how this quilt turned out. From the tiny postage stamp squares to the beautiful spiral quilting. I hope you enjoy it too!

Quilt stats:

  • Blogger's Quilt Festival Category: Scrappy
  • Size: Approx. 60 x 70"
  • Fabrics: A gazillion different prints!
  • Block notes: No two blocks are the same, each tiny 1.5" square was sewn together individually to make the blocks

15 comments:

  1. It is seriously stunning. The quilting is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess! I'm so pleased with how it turned out, especially the quilting. I will definitely be using the spiral technique again.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm a huge fan of teeny tiny scraps worked into wonderful things! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's still amazes me to think that all of those tiny squares have become a big quilt. They are a lot of fun to work with.

      Delete
  3. What a cheerful and fresh quilt! Excellent choice of colours and love the machine quilting. (I also like the little FP guy standing beside the stack. He puts all of those squares into perspective.) I'm going to check out "Blogger's Quilt Festival" and look for you quilt. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! You should definitely check it out - and consider entering one of your own quilts. You do such amazing work that I wouldn't be surprised to see you win something!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I didn't realize the squares were made up of more tiny squares! Amazing. And I love the circle quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty mind-boggling to think about how many tiny squares are in that quilt... about 2,000! And I actually had enough blocks to make two identical tops, so that means I cut about 4,000 little squares! :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Love all those little squares making a much bigger one. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your hard work has paid off in this beauty! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! I'd be over the moon excited if I won!!! :)

      Delete
  7. what tiny blocks little pieces the quilt looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all of those tiny blocks - I can't get enough of looking at them. And the cool thing is that I see something new every time I look at the quilt because every tiny square is different.

      Delete
  8. That is so gorgeous! Those are such teeny tiny squares. Enjoy your hard work - it is a stunner! (Thanks for sharing it with me on my Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day post!)

    ReplyDelete